This Disappears When Logged In

Found a Painted Turtle, Not Sure How to Take Care of It.

Discussion in 'Turtles' started by Ameisen, Jul 7, 2014.

1. Ameisen

Ameisen New Member

Hello,

We found a painted turtle scurrying through our yard (given our area, it should be an intergrade between western and midland). Since it's so far from water (we have no bodies of water anywhere in our immediate vicinity) I presume it's a gravid female. In the direction it was going, there is nowhere suitable to lay eggs, nor is there water anywhere near here - this is a rather dense suburban area with a rather large number of predators (cats, raccoons, and coyotes). I currently don't necessarily want to let it go since, from what I can tell, it almost assures its death. How it got this far without being eaten/run over is beyond me. We don't think it's a pet, but we plan on asking around at nearby houses tomorrow to make sure. I'm not sure if it's female or even a painted turtle - my knowledge of herps isn't great. I should point out that it was not happy about being disturbed or held.

As it stands, I have two choices (unless we find that it has an owner somewhere):

1. Release it back into our yard, and hope that it survives (but I don't see how it can).
    2. Build a small turtle hutch for it in the backyard.

I'm fine with #2 - it takes me actually doing something, but I could built a small-ish hutch with an enclosure, sand/soil, and water, that would protect it from predators (and they are well abound - I have regularly seen raccoons and even coyotes). Due to terms of my lease, I cannot keep it indoors as a pet.

Suggestions? Here's a link to two photos my wife took:

Schildkröte - Imgur

2. Yellowfang15

Yellowfang15 Well-Known Member

From my experience with wild painted turtles, you got one. Any tame turtle would not try to get away, and if you let this one get away, it would most definitely hide. If you have a local lake or large pond, I would recommend releasing it there. Wild painted turtles should not be kept as pets. Hope he/she finds a good home!

3. Erwynn

Erwynn Elite Member

I would release it back into the area. Maybe check in the direction it was moving and see if you find any bodies of water in that area. Most often you should always put a moving turtle in the direction they were going, otherwise it might just come back again if it's heading somewhere.