This Disappears When Logged In

For Those of You Who Are Curious...:)

Discussion in 'Herp Photos' started by SweetDragonlady, Dec 31, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Auburnreptile

Auburnreptile Member

Well now here starts another grate debate ! Play sand VS. Reptile grade sand.

Most reptile sands are milled so that the grain actually becomes smoother or round. Play ground sand is a silicate sand which still has it's jagged edge and actually is easier to cause impaction. With that said there is no 100% safe substrate in my opinion. There are those substrates that you definitely want to stay away from.. ie. Corn cob and walnut shell for instance. Silicate sands can also be very dusty which can cause respatory problems.(washing does help) I have used many different types of substrates and as for sands I have never had a problem with a fine grade milled reptile sand.

2. SweetDragonlady

SweetDragonlady Elite Member

Actually, as my collared is very small right now, I prefer to use a solid piece of denim to cover the base of his tank so that I know for certain that he won't get an impaction. That way too I can fold it under the decor in the tank while removing and replacing it without disturbing him too much. :) Also, it doesn't cost anything in replacement. ;) Which for me with two growing children and two big dogs to feed is a big deal too. :p I'm always concerned about my animals, but I have to watch my budget as well.

3. Auburnreptile

Auburnreptile Member

Good thinkning. Boy I know about the almighty budget.. bleh. Oh and i'm a total doof...... its great not grate lol my dislexia and general inability to spell is killing me hahahaha

4. SweetDragonlady

SweetDragonlady Elite Member

:p LOL I hadn't even noticed till you pointed it out! The only reason I don't have more typos is cause of my spell checker! :p Between my dyslexia and my astigmatism I'd never spell anything right if it weren't for the blessed spell checker! LOL!!!

5. Dragoness

Dragoness Elite Member

it isn't the shape of the sand so much as that many of the reptile sands are made of a calcium based (calcium carbonate) material. Let me look up the exact mechanism. I know it was something along the lines of The calcium interfering with absorption and digestion, and thus causing an impaction.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.