This Disappears When Logged In

For Those of You Who Are Curious...:)

Discussion in 'Herp Photos' started by SweetDragonlady, Dec 31, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. SweetDragonlady

SweetDragonlady Elite Member

Here are some pics of Mr. Lizard.
    I have to get batteries for my camera then I will get better closeups of him and his hide, but for now these at least show him lounging on his stick.:)

Attached Files:

2. SweetDragonlady

Since these where taken I have replaced the shredded paper with a piece of denim that covers the entire bottom of the tank.

3. Merlin

Merlin Administrator Staff Member Premium Member

Two things immediately caught my attention. First, that strip thermometer is reading the temp of the glass wall, not the inside of the tank. You cannot use them. Get yourself a good digital with a probe.
    Second, I see no heat source. What are you using to keep him warm? If the lizard is not warm enough it is not going to feed.

4. SweetDragonlady

The house is usually anywhere between 76 and 80 F. I don't think temp is a problem here. Plus the tank is on a south wall. Also we live in Arizona where cold is a rarity. This winter being the exception... Inside of course we still keep it warm do to the fact that hubby and I both hate the cold. (bad knees and back.) But I will find one of those other thermometers like you suggested. I did get a heat bulb for night time due to recent weather but it takes a regular light socket and I need to find a fixture for it so I can put it in for him.

5. Merlin

That is the low end of their temperature range!
    These are heat loving lizards. The tank should have a gradient of 75 degrees cool end - 90 degrees warm end with a basking spot around 100-105! You cannot rely on the household temperatures to be enough for them.
    And your heating bulb needs a ceramic socket not a regular plastic one that is used with household lamps.

6. SweetDragonlady

Thank you for keeping me from goofing.:D I'll find the proper socket and put in the heat lamp ASAP. He's been eating just fine so far. the light that is in there now is UVB. It puts off some heat, but very little. It does however stimulate him a bit. He likes to sit on his branch, or run up and down the branch and jump between the branch and the rocks when the light is on.:cool: He really is fun to watch when he gets going.

7. Merlin

The basking temperature will allow him to digest his food better. At lower temps his system isn't working efficiently. And at the warmer temps he will be even more active.
    Is there anything between the bulb and the lizard? Glass, plastic, or fine mesh screen, will cut out the UVB.

8. SweetDragonlady

Absolutely nothing.

9. Merlin

Great! It was difficult to tell from the pictures.

10. schlegelbagel

schlegelbagel Frog Lover Premium Member

I'd give him another branch or two to climb on, and maybe a fake plant.

If your heat source is a simple bulb, any old shop light will do. If its something like a 100 watt bulb or higher, or a heat emitter, it will need a ceramic socket.

11. SweetDragonlady

What kind of plant?

12. SweetDragonlady

Got hubby searching his shop for a ceramic socket for me as the new bulb is a heat bulb. :)

13. Dragoness

Dragoness Elite Member

Any plant will do - it will make his environment look more natural, as well as giving him more places to hide.

14. SweetDragonlady

Is this a good plant to use?:confused:Well, a cutting from it anyway...

Attached Files:

15. schlegelbagel

16. SweetDragonlady

Here's the setup with a couple of changes and the promised closeup.:)

Attached Files:

17. schlegelbagel

Looks good. Hopefully he will use the new branches. And get those temps up!

18. Drache Dame

Drache Dame Elite Member

It looks good, however I do have one concern. it looks as though you are using a fish hood for the top. This is not good because there won't be enough ventilation. Also, when you want to use a heat lamp, you'll be unable too. I'd suggest getting a screen for the top with the size of the holes 1/4 inch or larger. This way you can rest the heat on top and have good ventilation.

19. SweetDragonlady

Way ahead of you.:) Though it is a fish hood I've butchered it. The back is cut off and replaced with screen. the heat light will be placed there once hubby finishes piecing it together from his spare parts. I've bought the proper bulb he's just putting together a fixture.:)

20. SweetDragonlady

Good eye schlegelbagel!:)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.