This Disappears When Logged In

Foods for Breeder Rats.

Discussion in 'Feeders' started by Dovahkiin, Mar 19, 2014.

1. Dovahkiin

Dovahkiin New Member

Okay, so I want to breed rats, but at $1/ lb, I find buying lab block to be very expensive. Idk where people are getting Mazuri 6F for $25 because it's $50 here.

I know that people buy a brand called "doggy bag" dog food but my feed stores don't carry it.

Are there any brands other than that I can use?

I did a little bit of searching on dog food. Winco carries dog food:

The guaranteed analysis looks good:
    CRUDE PROTEIN NOT LESS THAN 18.0%
    CRUDE FAT NOT LESS THAN 6.0%
    CRUDE FIBER NO MORE THAN 5.5%
    MOISTURE NO MORE THAN 10.0%
    FEED ONE 16 OZ CUP FOR EVERY 15 LBS OF BODY WEIGHT PER DAY.
    AMERICAN NUTRITION
    OGDEN, UT 84402

According to their facebook page, this is the ingredients.

INGREDIENTS:GROUND YELLOW CORN,WHEAT MILL
    RUN,MEAT & BONE MEAL, ANIMAL FAT(PRESERVED
    WITH MIXED TOCOPHEROLS A SOURCE OF VITAMIN
    E) WHEAT, SOYBEAN MEAL, SALT, TOMATO POMAC
    E, CALCIUM CARBONATE, ZINC OXIDE, FERROUS
    SULFATE, VIT A-ACETAT,D-ACTIVATED ANIMAL
    STEROL,VITAMIN E, VITAMIN B12 SUPPLEMENT,
    MANGANOUS OXIDE,THIAMINE MONONITRATE,RIBO-
    FLAVIN,NIACIN,CALCIUM PANOTHENATE,PYRIDO-
    XINE HYDROCHLORIDE,FOLIC ACID,BIOTIN,COP-
    PER OXIDE, CHOLINE CHLORIDE, CALCIUM
    IODATE,SODIUM SELENITE.

I also heard of people using hog feed, but all the one's I've found only have 2-3% fat, so it really doesn't look like a good alternative to me.

Also, does anyone have any experience with a rodent block by the name of "Star Milling Co"?
    It's like $20 for 50lbs over here, but the protein content seems a little excessive.

…………………GUARANTEED ANALYSIS……………………
    CRUDE PROTEIN………………..……NOT LESS THAN………………..24.00%
    CRUDE FAT……………………………...NOT LESS THAN………………...8.00%
    CRUDE FIBER………………………...NOT MORE THAN……………..… 5.00%
    ASH………………………………………………..NOT MORE THAN……………... 8.00%

LIST OF INGREDIENTS Soybean Meal, Wheat Bran, Ground Corn, Wheat
    Flour, Porcine Meat & Bone Meal, Ground Wheat,
    Poultry Fat, Suncured Alfalfa Meal, Whole Dried
    Whey, Cane Molasses, Salt (Sodium Chloride),
    Propionic Acid (a preservative), Choline Chloride,
    Zinc Oxide, Manganous Oxide, Ferrous Sulfate,
    Vitamin A Acetate, Vitamin E (Alpha Tocopheryl),
    Vitamin D3 Supplement, DL-Calcium Pantothenic
    Acid, Riboflavin Supplement, Niacin Supplement,
    Vitamin K (Menadione Dimethylpyrimidinol
    Bisulfite), Thiamine Mononitrate, Pyridoxine
    Hydrochloride, Copper Sulfate, Ethylenediamine
    Dihydriodide, Vitamin B12 Supplement, Folic Acid,
    Sodium Selenite (Selenium).

I don't need a whole lot of feeders, so litter sizes of less than 10 are no biggie to me.

2. DwarvenChef

DwarvenChef Elite Member

Mazuri is a great staple that I had for years. I bought it in the large bags in AK at about 30$. I'd look for a better supplier, you may have to drive a bit, but also ask for quantity discount. A lot up front but the blocks do last a while.

That said I preferred using a grain based diet more than Mazuri, Mazuri was kind of a catch all for nutrients that the grain base may have missed. I used the best looking grain base I could find, large pieces and wide variety of grains.

I stayed away from dog foods as the cheap ones cased more troubles than it was worth. Higher tumor rates gave me the willies and I never went back to dog food.

3. jaydsr2887

jaydsr2887 Elite Member

try feeding them a lot of greens and fruits and grains..... just remember that whatever your rats eat is what your snake/lizard eats.....

4. Merlin

Merlin Administrator Staff Member Premium Member

Some dog foods also contain a red dye that is toxic to snakes.

5. jaydsr2887

jaydsr2887 Elite Member

I never knew that....

6. Dovahkiin

Dovahkiin New Member

Where are you buying it at?
    I have literally gone to every feed store within an hour of my house and of the few that carried mazuri it was at least $50, which I find to be way too expensive for a diet made mainly of corn and by-products.

I know what causes cancer in these foods, it's the BHA and the synthetic vitamin K(Menadione) that is pretty much unavoidable, even Harlan has that in it... If I'm going to be spending $1/lb I'd buy that because there's no BHA in it. Along with artificial flavors and dyes.

Merlin- I realize that red dye is toxic, which is why the dog food I brought up has none. It's also free of both BHA and the nasty vitamin K.

I just wanted someone to look at the ingredients and tell me what they thought. I know that the best route would be buying Mazuri or Harlan, but that's just way too expensive. I have 13 rats right now. I got them in january and the females should be ready to breed in the next few weeks, they are currently eating Native earth because I got it on a deal online, that deal has since ended and it's only taken them 3 months to go through the bag, even using food hoppers. $40 every 3 months is not how much I want to spend. I can do $20 or maybe even $30, but $40 is too much.

7. Darkbird

Darkbird Elite Member

Merlin, could you provide some proof for that. Not saying your wrong but I've heard this before and haven't found anything to back it up. As for the op's issue, you need to double check with the stores that don't carry it, some might be willing to order it for you. I'm switching from lab diet to mazuri because I found out that the feed store I buy from can order the mazuri products. Im gonna double check this weekend, but I belive the mazuri may be distributed by purina from what they said. Can't back this up for sure right now though.

8. Merlin

Merlin Administrator Staff Member Premium Member

This is just one of those things that has been talked about for years. I have heard it from vets as well as rodent breeders themselves. Even people who breed rodents for pets recommend not using dog food because the dye contributes to health issues in their breeders.
    The way I look at it? Why risk it.

9. DwarvenChef

DwarvenChef Elite Member

I got it from a feedstore in Eagle River AK. Great little place that would special order many weird things for me to try :p I became their back up source for winter live mice :p UPS had trouble reading the "LIVE ANIMALS tag and almost always got mousecicles all winter long...

10. Dovahkiin

Dovahkiin New Member

Makes sense now. You haven't tried to buy it in california have you?

Everything is 110% more expensive here than anywhere else >.<
    Why do I still live here?

I got hopeful that you might know a place in socal that has it for $30 because it says you're from here ._.

11. Dovahkiin

Dovahkiin New Member

I think I decided what I'm going to do.

I'm going down to the feed store today to look at hog feeds. Hopefully they aren't too expensive like mazuri. I'll feed them that and supplement moms with fattier food like peanuts and sunflower seeds.

If that turns out to be to costly, I'll drive down to winco and see if I can do a grain mix with their dog food. Maybe being in bulk will help with the price.

If I can't find a way to spend less, I guess that I'll just have to eat it and keep buying expensive block. I don't want to, but I want healthy rats :)