This Disappears When Logged In

Food for Dubias.

Discussion in 'Feeders' started by richcoulterjr, Mar 3, 2011.

1. richcoulterjr

richcoulterjr Elite Member

Nor would I. so i will only put a few in there for now and see what happens.

2. Merlin

Merlin Administrator Staff Member Premium Member

The issue with them climbing the silicone seems to be more relative to the small ones.
    Guess the big ones are too heavy.

3. richcoulterjr

yeah i tested it out and the adults didnt seem to want to climb. i even set a couple on there and they didnt move. the little guys however moved around a bit and stopped at the vasoline and turned around. i have a few dozen hanging out in there now but they are to busy eating the cat food i just ground up. actually they are burying themselves in it.

4. Spyral

Spyral Elite Member

You also might want to consider having two colonies instead of one large colony. Like it was mentioned, they love heat so the bigger container will lose more heat. Also keeps you covered if one of the colony collapses or develops mites or other problems.

5. schlegelbagel

schlegelbagel Frog Lover Premium Member

put packing tape over the silicone. Less messy.

I never tried oranges. I'll try that tonight.

6. purplemuffin

purplemuffin Elite Member

Hmm the fish food thing is interesting. I don't feed my betta flakes because it is too hard to control portions and you end up with an overweight fish and a polluted tank of bacteria, but everything I buy for him comes with a free packet of fish food! Even the narbc gave us betta flakes for some reason! So I have a whole big box of the stuff being saved for I guess an emergency if I run out of biogold pellets! But hey, if I could put them to better use in a roach colony, score!

7. Merlin

Oh its funny! I cut the oranges in half and just sit them in there. They eat around the seeds and the wedge dividing membrane.
    Looks like the seeds are floating in the air!

8. richcoulterjr

hahah. i quarter mine and they eat everything including the rind. i also get the seedless though. just works out cheaper that way for me by the bag.

9. mld

mld Subscribed User Premium Member

Mine have never ate the rind, weird!

10. Merlin

Mine neither.

11. richcoulterjr

what about banana peels and apple cores? we go through alot of apples and bananas around here and since starting this thread ive been wondering about most everything i throw away. is a good rule of thumb to say that if it came from fruit or veggie it is ok to feed to them?

12. kriminaal

kriminaal HH Block Leader Staff Member Premium Member

Sure, you don't want anything that molds fast though and could possibly wipe out your colony.
    I find produce to use that I can limit the amount of work I spend on a roach colony.
    I'd rather spend time with the reptiles than the feeders. So anything that molds too fast I stay away from as I would only 'service' the colonies maybe once a week.
    Low maintenance, that's what I like about roaches.

13. teach920

teach920 Subscribed User Premium Member

Ditton on the above...
    Regarding the apples you asked about, I think they would be fine, however, I think the banana peels would be more likely to go bad/mold from the heat unless consumed REAL quick.

14. richcoulterjr

found out that my roaches like bananas and the peel. well maybe just the fruit that is still inside the peel but not the outside. bad part of it is they eat the peels dry and is a royal pain getting the little babies out of all the nooks and cranies down by the seed. so the lesson is: good food, bad clean up.

15. mld

Yes, that could be definitely a messy situation.

16. kriminaal

kriminaal HH Block Leader Staff Member Premium Member

Much like how they hide out in orange rinds.

17. mld

now I'm going to have to check the orange rind before taking them out!:( I hope I never lost any babies! I'm always checking when I'm cleaning up the droppings just in case, I should have been a lab technician or something. Dealing with all this poop!;)

18. schlegelbagel

schlegelbagel Frog Lover Premium Member

I do apple core, but i chop it up into bits, so there aren't any crannies for them to hide in!

19. richcoulterjr

my roaches make me feel horrible sometimes. like i dont feed them enough or something. we eat alot of fruits and veggies here so they are always plenty fed. some of the stories you guys tell about not eating the rinds and oly eating the the fruit parts of the oranges make me think im not feeding them enough. they have 2 big huge containers of cat food all ground up for them and i always put fresh leftover fruits and veggies in there for them. when i go and check on them in the morning it is all gone. sometimes they leave a little behind and depending on what it is i clean it up right away or a little later on. i even have little dishes that are flat and i give them a jar of baby food every couple days and that is gone by morning as well. idk maybe im just to much of a parent to my roaches. man that sounds wierd.

20. teach920

teach920 Subscribed User Premium Member

How small are you cutting up the oranges?? I ask becuase, if you are cutting it into small pieces, it might be that it is drying up so small, that it is then being dragged off where you can't see it??..I say that because I as well have never had my Dubia eat the orange rinds..But I just cut an orange in half, or occasionally in 1/4ths, and as stated above, the rinds have always been left.