This Disappears When Logged In

Food for Dubias.

Discussion in 'Feeders' started by richcoulterjr, Mar 3, 2011.

1. richcoulterjr

richcoulterjr Elite Member

I've read other people saying that their dubia colony is like a garbage disposal and they eat everything. now aside from poisons and stuff like that, is there anything they should not eat? I currently feed fruits and veggies but what about some meat now and then? table scraps? could i treat them like a pig farm and save up all my table scraps and feed them off to the roaches?

2. mld

mld Subscribed User Premium Member

Feeding - Breeding Blaptica Dubia

A diet consisting of fresh fruits and vegetables supplemented with dry dog food, grain cereal, baby cereal, and fish flakes will provide a suitable diet. These items can be rotated through, or mixed together.

I use cat food instead of dog food, and bran and oats instead of cereal, then I grind everything up to a fine mix in the food processor. Look the consistency of cornmeal when done.

3. kriminaal

kriminaal HH Block Leader Staff Member Premium Member

Don't think of them as a garbage disposal. Think of them as a vitamin and food delivery system.
    I too use cat food (not the cheapest kind) and about the same as Michele for everything else.
    Although I like to add powdered milk to add a little extra calcium.

4. LovetheBaruu

LovetheBaruu Subscribed User Premium Member

I like to add a fruit or carrots as part of the daily diet, I think it may make them tastier. They nibble, so anything that would rot and smell (meat) would be totally nasty!

5. schlegelbagel

schlegelbagel Frog Lover Premium Member

Yeah, i woudln't do meat. Gross. Mine don't touch the cat food. However they love bran flakes, so I feed them that, and veggie scraps.

6. richcoulterjr

thanks for the tips everybody. im currently working on moving my roaches up to a 55 as my colony is getting to big for their tub now. i was trying to figure out the food bowls and didnt know if i should go big for having table stuff or go with what i am already doing. if place in bigger area do they grow more as a colony? given a bigger space to spread out and a larger amount of food will they spread out and grow more?

7. schlegelbagel

schlegelbagel Frog Lover Premium Member

I haven't a clue how space makes them grow, but i do know the more heat the the better fed they are, the more they grow. I have usually have too many so I have cut back on the heat.

8. Merlin

Merlin Administrator Staff Member Premium Member

I too would suggest staying away from meat. It will go nasty quickly in the heat of the colony. Not to mention the grease residue!
    I also do not use any cooked table food.
    Uncooked veggie scraps and peelings from dinner prep are on the menu.

9. mld

I use dry cat food! Is that what you mean by meat?

10. Merlin

No I meant meat like chicken, pork, beef, etc that you would eat.
    I too use dry catfood and fishfood to supply the protien

11. mld

Good, had me worried there for a second! I definitely wouldn't use fresh meat, that would just be a breeding ground for bacteria, it wouldn't pass health regulations for proper holding temperatures for food.

12. richcoulterjr

and by fish food, do you mean just regular old flake stuff for gold fish? would it be better to use something for a different fish such as a cichlid?

13. Merlin

I alternate. I buy a container of goldfish food and then the next time I get some for a more carnivorous species.

And mine go nuts for oranges!

14. mld

Mine like the oranges as well, I've also used dehydrated blood worms in the mix. With the carrots they will actually carry them off!

15. richcoulterjr

oh yeah oranges. i heard they were good to get them going faster on the breeding. so i bought a bag and chopped up a couple and fed them to the roaches. they went bonkers and maybe coincedentally i did find what could have been a couple more batches of babies 2 or 3 days later. also part of the reason im moving them up to a 55.

16. Merlin

You might want to cover the sides of the tank.
    Like most roaches they do their best work in the dark.

17. richcoulterjr

yeah i am preparing a card board cover. i here that also traps in the heat pretty decent.

18. mld

Are you using a plastic bin or an aquarium, if you are using a aquarium becareful that they don't try to climb on the silicone in the corners! I just use a large plastic tub, cut a hole in the top and place screen over the hole. Mind you I think I cut the hole too big

Attached Files:

19. richcoulterjr

i am using an aquarium but i am using vasoline on the corners and the top few inches to stop them from getting out. that was one of the things my wife freaks out about with the roaches. she knows they do not climb smooth plastic or glass but silicone is different. read up on it a bit and found that lots of people use tanks and put vasoline as a barrier. gonna give it a swing and see how it goes. im told that so long as i feed them well they know where home is and wont try to leave. kinda like a kid. hahah.

20. Merlin

I wouldn't bet my marriage on that !;)