This Disappears When Logged In

Food Coming Out Of Igs Nose

Discussion in 'Green Iguanas' started by KimnBrian, Aug 12, 2017.

1. KimnBrian

KimnBrian Member

Help! I was feeding Lizzie and suddenly she started trying to climb to the ceiling and food (banana) started foaming out of her mouth and nose! We stayed with her and wiped her face as it came out and basically just watched her for distress and to make sure she didn't stop breathing. I literally was crying and screaming thinking she was dying. She eventually calmed down but was lifting her head up and sticking her dewlap out a lot. We decided to leave her room for a few mins to help her calm down but checked on her often. She seems mostly OK but is acting a little skittish and doing this occasional open mouth pant kind of thing. I gave her a few drops of water from a medicine dropper thinking it might help clear any more banana that might be lodged in her throat. We're guessing and hoping she just ate too much too fast (this girl LOVES her some banana!) But I'm sick to my stomach and my chest is tight with worry. I'm afraid she might have aspirated some. Any advice? Has anyone ever had this happen?

2. murrindindi

murrindindi Elite Member

Hi, can you show a few photos of the iguana and give some details of the conditions in the enclosure?

3. KimnBrian

KimnBrian Member

She is 5 years old. We adopted her from a family that didn't want her anymore. The enclosure she came with was a cabinet converted into an enclosure. It was about 2 1/2 X 1 1/2 X 3. Meth front and mesh top. They had basking light and uva and uvb lights. She was fed collard greens mostly. As soon as we got her home, aprox 2 months ago, we knew she needed a much larger enclosure. So we went to building. She's been in her new enclosure about 2 weeks. It is made of wood with a glass front and back. It is 6 x 6 X 4. She has a basking light and uva and uvb lights and a cool mist humidifier. The temp under basking light is in the mid 90's, the ambient air stays 80-85 and the humidity levels ranges between 65-75. Her enclosure is in our spare room which is also warm. I closed the air vents in the room. We feed her twice a day. Collards, a little kale, dandelion greens, gladiolus petals and wild violet greens from our backyard ( we don't use pesticides), a little parsley, carrot, red cabbage, cucumber, fresh basil, radishes, red bell pepper and green beans. Not everything every time, we rotate stuff. Then as a treat with her meals we give her banana, apple, cantaloupe, strawberry, papaya, mango, raspberries, blueberries. We soak her food in water to get it wet then pour most out so she gets some water in her. We've offered water bowls and even hung a water bottle but we have never witnessed her drink water. We must her a few times a day. We give her warm baths 2-3 times a week. She's extremely docile and sweet. She's not very active but has always been that way. But this is our first iguana and I'm not real sure what a normal activity level would be. She moves around to regulate her temp and climbs down to potty but that's about it. She's back in her old enclosure for the night because after the banana incident, we discovered some moisture next to her new enclosure and feared pee got thru the caulking so we had to reinforce the seems with more caulking. Once it's dry, in the next day or two, we'll put her back in. Also, we had to remove foliage and branches from her new cage while we caulked. The crib section you see in the one pic, attaches to the bottom shelf at an angle and rests on the floor. She climbs up and down that to potty. We keep a shallow plastic tote with water at the bottom of that for her to potty in or soak or drink but so far she won't do any of those with the pan of water. She pottys right next to it. I hope this is helpful. Thanks for your reply. We are so in love with her and so worried. We didn't feed her dinner tonight. The banana incident happened with breakfast at 9 am. By 6 pm she still hadn't pottied so I became very alarmed and even though I was worried about disturbing her in her possible bad condition, I decided to give her a bath to stimulate her to go. She did. Once I returned her to her enclosure, I gave her A few bites of cantaloupe to get fluids in her. Thanks so much! 15025913959991050872301.jpg 1502591450847860244066.jpg 15025914782641978210841.jpg 15025913959991050872301.jpg 1502591450847860244066.jpg 15025914782641978210841.jpg

4. murrindindi

murrindindi Elite Member

Hi again, I`m in the U.K so around 5 hours ahead of you, I`ll always respond but keep in mind the time difference.
    I take it the bottom photo is of the current enclosure, can you take a few photos of it as is it right now, also tell me how you`re measuring the basking surface temp and what type and wattage are the heat/light bulbs? If the animal was living in a wire cage for some months it probably couldn`t function efficiently and it`s immune system would have been compromised.

5. KimnBrian

KimnBrian Member

No problem on the response time. I appreciate any help! Her previous owner said they never had any health issues with her. And we've never seen her act unwell or not have a great appetite. I'm not saying I don't believe she could have suffered some damage from that but I don't believe that's what contributed to the banana incident. She's never had food foam out of her nose or mouth before. I'm really just looking for some advice right now on this specific incident with the banana as we thought she was going to die and are still worried about her. I'm afraid that she might have aspirated some and will get pneumonia, if that's possible. At another point, I'd love to get some advice on temps and heat and such. Thank you!

6. murrindindi

murrindindi Elite Member

Unless the conditions are supportive at all times it will have a detrimental effect on the animal`s health, that is why it`s so important to have the details in order to rule out things (such as the incident you asked for advise on) which might or might not have been related to the iguana being undermetabolised)? If you`re still worried you need to take it to a vet, but they too will want to know exactly what I`m asking for (husbandry details)! Again, how are you measuring the basking surface temp and can you put a few photos up of the current enclosure with the iguana inside?

7. KimnBrian

KimnBrian Member

Like I said before, I'd love to get into all that at a later time. I was needing advise 2 days ago on how to get thru a crisis/emergency. Which by now, is over. Glad she survived it. No thanks to this forum. When you cut your finger off and go to the ER, they don't need to know about your diet and how many hours of sleep you get a night. They take care of the crisis that you went there for. I understand how important all the other stuff is with reptiles. It's crucial. But when a person is asking for help in an emergency, maybe you should help them get thru that first then move on to the other stuff. I needed to know what to do about her having food coming out of her mouth and nose. For example: give her water, don't give her water, don't feed for 48 hours, take her to vet immediately. And I was asking if they can get pneumonia. Her husbandry has nothing to do with getting thru a crisis. Everything to do with why the crisis happened in the first place? Maybe so. But I needed help at that moment on how to handle the crisis. Thanks anyway.

8. AmityReptiles

AmityReptiles Well Established Member

Hey, iguanas can get respiratory infections like anything else. And sorry we couldn't be more help, but if your finger is cut off, you don't post on the forums for emergency advice. You go to the ER like you said. By the time someone sees this, (not to mention someone who has had this exact experience) it would be far too late to do anything about it. Don't blame the forum or murrindindi because you decided to write a book about your iguana choking, when you could have been taking steps to get medical help from a vet.
    All we can do is help you understand the needs of your animal, and help you achieve that; so that maybe you won't have this problem in the future. This is not a vets office!

9. KimnBrian

KimnBrian Member

You also are missing the point. I didn't know if my iguana was in an emergency or not. THAT was my question! Which only required an answer. Not 3 days of dialogue. And the reason I wrote a book was to avoid this very thing. Someone asking me unnecessary questions resulting in messages going back and forth before I can get a simple answer. I was trying to avoid that by giving as much information as I could from the get go, so I could just get a reply about the incident in question. Obviously this isn't a vets office nor a friendly common sense forum. Good bye. I'll take my questions somewhere else and remove myself from this one.

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 15, 2017
  10. Merlin

Merlin Administrator Staff Member Premium Member

It always amazes me me when people ask a question and get responses that they consider irrelevant and suddenly THEY are experts telling everybody else that their questions are irrelevant. With reptiles everything is interconnected. People are talking to you trying to help and you are coming back with snarky comments which I have removed.

11. KimnBrian

KimnBrian Member

And it always amazes me when people can't read. The iguana had an isolated incident where she ate too fast and too much. The banana was coming out of her nose. I simply was asking what I can do for her at that moment. I would have gladly gave more information, every bit of information anyone was asking in fact, after we addressed her crisis. I was actually excited to register here so I could later get some advice on husbandry. Yes it's all interconnected but the type of bulbs I have and the means in which I monitor her heat would not have changed how I was to address a reptile in distress. So are you telling me if I have state of the art equipment, I would have helped her in a different way than if I had absolutely NO equipment? NO ONE was helping me or her with her crisis. And that's OK. Live and learn. Please remove me or ban me or whatever it is you do. Thanks.