This Disappears When Logged In

Foliage Construction Question.

Discussion in 'Cage Furniture - Accessories' started by TigerCowrie, Aug 5, 2012.

1. TigerCowrie

TigerCowrie Member

I'm in the process of designing a habitat that will eventually be home to a knight anole. Right now, I need to attach the fake plants I bought to the branches. However, everything I've found online says that you should drill holes in the wood, and with what I have, that wouldn't really work. So, the question is, how should I go about this? I have some aquarium silicone I bought to use for this, so should I just silicone the plants against the surface of the branches? Or should I adhere the plants into something else and then put that on the branches? If so, what? Is there a better solution that I'm missing?

2. Rudiman

Rudiman Elite Member

I drilled holes and glued the stems in with hot glue. With my monitors I have to reglue every now and again.

Scott

3. TigerCowrie

TigerCowrie Member

That's what I'd like to do, but the pieces of wood I have would be awkward to drill; I'm afraid I might ruin them. So, if at all possible, I'd prefer to avoid drilling.

Edit: I'm thinking of doing something like this, but with cocofiber or something instead of river rocks, and adhering that to the wood.

4. Rudiman

Rudiman Elite Member

Start your drill 90 degrees to your wood then moved to 45 degrees and only drill to about 1/2 inch in depth. You'll be fine

Scott

5. diehardislanders

diehardislanders Elite Member

I see many people use thin hemp rope to tie their vines and fake plants on.

6. TigerCowrie

TigerCowrie Member

I ended up using hot glue to attach the plants, but I think I might use the hemp rope you suggested to secure the actual branches in place. Would I just get the regular, undyed hemp cord sold for crafts?

7. Merlin

Merlin Administrator Staff Member Premium Member

Actually I would recommend the sisal rope sold in hardware stores.
    Hemp cord is soft and frays easily resulting in fibers pulling out that can get the animal tangled up.

8. TigerCowrie

TigerCowrie Member

Okay, sisal rope it is, then.