This Disappears When Logged In

Fluval 406 Canister Filter?

Discussion in 'Product Questions' started by psychosis, Dec 27, 2011.

1. psychosis

psychosis Elite Member

im looking into them but it says i need to drill holes for intake and outake is there anotherway around drilling holes also if you have experince with this newer filter please help another thing do i have to just use fluval media ex. can i use cheap activated carbon instaed of over priced fluval brand and is there a bulk store for media i can order from also i have a fine sand large river rock mix for substrate can i still use this filter

2. mshrmheadcharge

mshrmheadcharge Moderator Staff Member Premium Member

What are you using this filter for?

3. psychosis

psychosis Elite Member

a 55 with 4 turtles all small right now

4. murrindindi

murrindindi Elite Member

Hi, you don`t need a 406, the Fluval 205 (exterior filter) will suffice, it`s efficient for up to 50 (U.S) gallons, and much cheaper, too!
    Also, no need to drill holes for the pipes, they come supplied with fixings that fit over the top edge of the aquarium. Better not to have any substrate, as most of the waste will get caught in it, so the water will soon become very dirty indeed, even with the filter!
    I use a 305 in my pool, but I usually remove the larger pieces of waste with a small net. Yes, you can use other brands of filter media. Try ebay, I get mine from there (I`m living in the U.K, but I would imagine they do it in America, too), it`s just as good , but much cheaper...

5. Rich

Rich Administrator Staff Member Premium Member

You can have the holes drilled for you by a glass shop or you can buy a glass cutting kit. I have a fluval filter in storage and it was of the 400 sries (don't recall which) but it was also possible to come up over the top of the tank. I didn't "have" to cut the hole though it was the recommended method.

6. schlegelbagel

schlegelbagel Frog Lover Premium Member

Murrindini, for turtles. always triple the filtration. They are messy poop machines.

7. mshrmheadcharge

You can use the cheaper activated carbon in this filter but please be certain to rinse it until the water is clear running through it, it will take a min or so.
    I believe your substrate should be fine as well, but use netting around the intake and outtake piping to prevent substrate clogging it up also to deter your little ones from swimming up the intake( I don't know how small we are talking here)

8. murrindindi

murrindindi Elite Member

Hi, I disagree, much of the waste will get trapped in the stones (personal experience), the filter will not remove most of it, and fitting netting (if small diam. holes), will soon block the pipe entrance (again, been there, done that), but there`s a fitting that goes over the end of the intake pipe (it`s around 1/2inch diam. piping), which is "supposed" to stop blockages, but often doesn`t (just collects around it). This might not be a big problem just yet, but as they grow, they`ll obviously leave more/larger waste!

9. mshrmheadcharge

You would have to clean the netting, I doubt the substrate is going to be sucked into this filter but just in case it does this will prevent damage to the filter.

10. murrindindi

murrindindi Elite Member

It`s not so much the substrate getting sucked into the pipes, it`s the waste that will collect around the netting that will block it. A few (relatively) large pieces, and from 4 animals. And if that happens, and it`s left unattended for too long, it can damage the filter`s motor (personal experience again, I`m sorry to say), and it`s quite expensive to replace (oops)! ;)

Attached Files:

• 001.jpg
      001.jpg
      File size:
      23.3 KB
      Views:
  11. psychosis

psychosis Elite Member

yeah what can i use as a netting if i watch to make sure it dont clog and my little dbt is just barely under 2 inchs how do yall propose putting media in filter like what media in what trays thank you all for the help this is my first canister

12. murrindindi

murrindindi Elite Member

Hi, if you fit netting, it WILL clog up in a relatively short time, they provide a guard which fits over the end of the inlet pipe, there`s not much else you can do except make sure to keep it clear. As these are very small animals just now, it shouldn`t be too much of a problem (the bigger the animal the bigger some of the waste pieces)!
    They (Fluval), provide detailed instructions on which filter media goes in which little basket, and how often you need to replace them.

13. psychosis

psychosis Elite Member

ok thank you glad to hear i wasint going to have to fashion a netting like on our old pool filter

14. murrindindi

murrindindi Elite Member

Hi again, here`s the tube + the end they supply, no need for any netting, as you see!

Attached Files:

• 001.jpg
      001.jpg
      File size:
      14.5 KB
      Views:
  15. psychosis

psychosis Elite Member

thatll come with it

16. murrindindi

murrindindi Elite Member

Yes!!! :D
    P.S. The tube they supply is longer than that, I just showed you a piece of mine (you cut to size yourself)..

17. psychosis

psychosis Elite Member

ok thank you but im thinking about the rena filstar xp4 for same price

18. murrindindi

murrindindi Elite Member

I don`t know it, but if it does the job, that`s all that matters!

19. psychosis

psychosis Elite Member

ok just read some horror story reviews on rena prolly going with 406 will media for 405 fit 406

20. murrindindi

murrindindi Elite Member

The filter media fits all models, you just put the recommended ammount of each type in the baskets.