This Disappears When Logged In

Fluorescent Lighting Question

Discussion in 'Habitat Lighting' started by jweiner, Dec 4, 2013.

1. Vers

Vers Elite Member

When it comes to UV, I'll have to disagree, Merlin. Silver/metallic/mirrored reflectors focus significantly more UV to where it's needed (downward).

2. jweiner

jweiner Elite Member

I will probably go with this fixture in the 36" length (for a 48" enclosure). It appears that this fixture will work well because it comes with wire to suspend it from the top of an enclosure:

AquaSun T5-HO Double Light Linear Fluorescent Hoods

And these lights:

ReptiSun 5.0 UVB T5 HO - High Output Linear Lamp

Ultra Sun® Super Daylight T5-HO

Not quite sure if I need the 5.0 or the 10.0 UVB tube. The chart on ZooMed's site says that the animal's basking spot should be 12"-24" away from the 5.0 and 18"-36" away from the 10.0. Therefore, by the time I suspend the fixture (from the inside of a 24" high enclosure), I'm probably better off with the 5.0 tube.

Last edited: Dec 5, 2013
  3. Vers

Vers Elite Member

If you're going to go with anything from ZooMed go with this fixture. Personally, I like the fixtures Todd sells at lightyourreptiles.com, which can be mounted directly to the top using the supplied hardware. Unfortunately they are currently out of stock but you can shoot him an email or give him a buzz to see when they are expected to be back in, though.

4. jweiner

jweiner Elite Member

It looks like the fixture in your link is only for a single tube and I was leaning toward the idea of a double tube fixture for a UVB bulb and a daylight tube. I also checked out lightyourreptiles and it appears that they're out of stock on just about every one of their fixtures??? I will call Todd tomorrow. This would be my first choice from them.

36" HO T5 Double Bulb fixture with Arcadia 12% and 6.5k Day-light Bulbs Included

Last edited: Dec 5, 2013
  5. Merlin

Merlin Administrator Staff Member Premium Member

My opinion on this goes back to my days of working with indoor gardening. The white reflectors delivered light more uniformly than the mirrored reflectors.

6. jweiner

jweiner Elite Member

So I talked to Todd at lightyourreptiles.com today. What a nice man. He told me that regarding this light:

36" HO T5 Double Bulb fixture with Arcadia 12% and 6.5k Day-light Bulbs Included

They will not be in until mid-January and that I would have to use cable-ties to suspend it from the top underside of a wood enclosure.

Now this Aquasun ZooMed fixture:

AquaSun T5-HO Double Light Linear Fluorescent Hoods

comes with a wire cable suspension kit to do just that so what really is the difference between the two fixtures at this point (if any)?

I really like that this fixture:

Amazon.com: Zoo Med ReptiSun T5 HO Terrarium Hood, 36" L: Pet Supplies

can be directly mounted to the top underside of a wooden enclosure, but I really want a double-tube fixture because the lighting will look much better with a UVB and a daylight tube.

7. jarich

jarich Elite Member

Ya, I have to admit I find it strange that Zoomed only makes the double in the fish tank version, but its the same thing really. Id say go with the Aquasun and then you are set.

8. jweiner

jweiner Elite Member

Can you please reiterate what bulbs you would then use? A T5 HO bulb I know, but 5.0 or 10.0? Is a 6500K daylight bulb a good choice for the second bulb?

9. jarich

jarich Elite Member

Since its a dragon you are going for (bright sun loving animal) I would recommend the 10.0 tube. At the height youre putting it at, that will give you a nice index of around 3-4. With the other tube, yes the 6500K daylight or 'full spectrum' light is a good idea.

10. jweiner

jweiner Elite Member

And my final question . . . What would be the ideal distance from that light to the basking spot (of course I'll also have a flood light for the heat)?

11. jarich

jarich Elite Member

I'd put some slate or other flat rocks under the basking area and that will be great. That would put you around 15" which should be excellent