This Disappears When Logged In

Fluorescent Lighting Question

Discussion in 'Habitat Lighting' started by jweiner, Dec 4, 2013.

1. jweiner

jweiner Elite Member

I am planning on building a 4'L x 2'W x 2'H enclosure for a single bearded dragon. I am going to be using 3/4" wood. I plan on mounting the heat source on a dimmer (probably a 75W PAR 30 outdoor floodlight) inside the enclosure on the underside of the roof on the left side. I saw that Home Depot sells 24" dual T5 fluorescent fixtures (with bulbs included). Can I use one of these fixtures (also mounted on the left side of the enclosure and just replace one of the included tubes with a T5 H.O. 24" UVB bulb? That way, I'll have both UVB light and regular daylight on one half of the enclosure. Please advise if this is an appropriate way to light/heat/provide UVB for a bearded dragon.

2. Vers

Vers Elite Member

It depends on if the ballast is an HO ballast. The fixture should also be fitted with a reflector. Have you looked into lightyourreptiles.com for fixtures and bulbs?

3. jweiner

jweiner Elite Member

Thanks Matt. I didn't realize the fixture also needed to be rated as high output. I'll check to see if lightyourreptiles has double fixtures. Is it a reasonable idea to use a UVB tube and a daylight tube in the same fixture? If not, what about a single UVB tube in a fixture and then just a low wattage (perhaps 15 watts) incandescent or LED bulb for the daylight? Could a high output tube even share a fixture with a non-high output daylight tube?

4. jarich

jarich Elite Member

Yes, you can have one fixture with a UVB tube and a "daylight" tube together. Ive got that in one of my enclosures too.

As Matt said, you need to make sure the ballast supports the HO bulbs though. The T5 is just a measurement of the bulb remember (5/8ths of an inch wide) and there are normal household fixtures that have uses other than for us reptile keepers ;)

5. jweiner

jweiner Elite Member

So is there somewhere that sells a double 24" fixture that would work with a T5 HO reptile light? All the fixtures on lightyourreptiles are out of stock.

6. jarich

jarich Elite Member

Zoomed

7. jweiner

jweiner Elite Member

What about having just a single tube fixture for a UVB HO tube and then just putting a 5 watt LED bulb or a 15 watt incandescent bulb in the enclosure for regular light?

8. jweiner

jweiner Elite Member

Also, I checked the Zoomed site and only see single tube fixtures. It seems that all the double tube fixtures are made for aquariums. I don't see a fixture that I'd be able to mount to the underside of the enclosure'a top. Can you provide a link?

9. jarich

jarich Elite Member

Knock the legs off it and strap it to the ceiling with a couple zip ties. Pretty much the same thing

10. jweiner

jweiner Elite Member

Which would be a better option; a double tube (one UVB and one daylight) or a single UVB tube and a low wattage incandescent or LED for daylight?

11. Darkbird

Darkbird Elite Member

If you use the LED for daylight you won't be adding as much if any heat to the enclosure, which might be a factor when summer returns. I know I have to watch this in my house, since we don't have central air. Then just use what you want and need for UV.

12. murrindindi

murrindindi Elite Member

Hi, I can buy double tube housing here in the U.K on Ebay, maybe they do it on the American site too? It makes no difference that the HOUSING is also used in fishtanks (though do NOT use the aquarium fluorescent tubes).

13. Vers

Vers Elite Member

Actually, the reflector type can make a big difference. Many fluorescent fixtures use a white or, worse yet, black reflector/housing, which isn't as efficient/effective as a metallic/mirrored reflector, and even those differ in terms of total UV output at 'ground' level depending on form and coating.

14. jweiner

jweiner Elite Member

Thanks Matt - it's been a long time since I had reflector hoods and that was when I had fish tanks. However, I had thought that the outer part of the enclosure was usually made of black plastic and then there would be a metallic (sorta u-shaped) reflector inside the outer black plastic housing. Are you saying that some reflectors use only the outer plastic housing as the "reflector"?

15. Vers

Vers Elite Member

Sorry for the confusion, Joel. I was speaking of the inner finish of the reflector, which is either part of the housing itself or a separate attachment.

16. jweiner

jweiner Elite Member

So I need to make sure that the inner part of the reflector hood has the metallic/mirrored reflector material, correct? I had just assumed that all reflector hoods had built in metallic reflector material.

17. Vers

Vers Elite Member

Not all of them. Like I said, some reflectors are painted/coated with a white finish while others, for some reason, are just black.

18. jweiner

jweiner Elite Member

So I presume that the ZooMed and Acadia reflectors would have the metallic reflector pieces?

19. Vers

Vers Elite Member

I can't really vouch for ZooMed's fixture, although I would assume it does, but Arcadia does make a reflector for their fixtures. Personally, I don't use either, rather a Root-It brand fixture (lightyourreptiles.com), which has a reflector built in.

20. Merlin

Merlin Administrator Staff Member Premium Member

A white reflector is actually preferable to the shiny metallic finish. The white reflects more uniformly while the shiny ones create "hot spots"