This Disappears When Logged In

Flourescent Light Finally

Discussion in 'Habitat Lighting' started by Toadie78, Dec 23, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Toadie78

Toadie78 Elite Member

I got a 24 inch Flourescent Light today for 10 bucks. Only thing i was curious about it has a T10 bulb is that bad and if so what can i do besides return it?
    Oh its a Lights of America fixture too... dunno if that means anything either to you guys.

2. CodyW

CodyW Elite Member

What is the light for? The fixture doesn't make too much of a difference, although it can. T10 I believe is 1&1/4". T12's are 1&1/2" and T8's are 1" in diameter. The diameter makes a difference in effeciency and the distance the light reaches. The wider bulbs disperse their light over a further area but don't penetrate down too deep. Thats what T8's are good for, they literally punch the light downwards, they are also more effecient.

Find out what the color index is or the kelvin rating. Let me know and I'll tell you if your in the right boat.

Im probably just confusing you now... :p

3. Toadie78

Toadie78 Elite Member

The light is for my leos and just basic photoperiod pretty much but i would like to possibly get a decent uv bulb for it one of these days are the different bulbs interchangeable? CRI is 62 and the Color Temp is 4200

From what i have read the CRI stinks but what ya gonna do huh

4. CodyW

CodyW Elite Member

That isn't too bad actually.

Heres how I understand it: The CRI is how we see the light and Color Temp is the spectrum of the light, or how the wavelengths are absorbed, they are intertwined but not similar. Your light is average for any of the 'cool white' fluros. A new light might run you as much as 10$ (If bought in a petstore) for a sunshine bulb (T12 is all I have seen) that has IMO the best CRI, the rest of the 'specialty' bulbs (plant and aquarium, etc.) have what could be called a good CRI but I see it as light distortion.

Here is what I would do, call a light specialty store specializing in industry lighting, they sell T8s for as little as 1.30$ each. The CRI is usually 85+ and the K is around 6500 which is the same of mid-day sun. And are almost always T8's due to better effeciency which is a big concern in industrial apps.

The bulbs (as far as T8's, T10's, and T12's) all have the same 2 pin configuration, when you get smaller they change due to the diameter being too small to fit the pins.

You may want to get new endcaps if it is in the terrarium, if its above don't worry about it.

5. Toadie78

Toadie78 Elite Member

ok ill see if i can find some different endcaps. I havent seen any T10 reptile lights thats why i asked.

6. CodyW

CodyW Elite Member

And you probably won't. I hardly ever see T10's and I mean hardly ever (maybe once or twice in my llife). If this is just for the photoperiod don't get too carried away in the UV output. Your best bet is the T8's. I have some on order I just have to pick them up when I get home.

Do you want a specific reptile light? If you do they are more than likely all going to be T12's. But don't worry too much about that as the light is the same just the effeciency and coverage vary.

7. Toadie78

Toadie78 Elite Member

thats ok i would like to get a reptile light eventually but will this fixture work with them?

8. CodyW

CodyW Elite Member

Yes the fixture will work. I like the color of the super UV's....or whatever the reptile bulbs are called.

9. Toadie78

Toadie78 Elite Member

i will see if i can find one of those bulbs.

10. Microscope Jockey

Microscope Jockey Elite Member

Just out of curiosity: why do you want a UV light for leos since they don't need them?

11. Toadie78

Toadie78 Elite Member

12. Microscope Jockey

If you have any melanin-challenged morphs I wouldn't expose them to more UV than the ambient amount in the room but that's just me. Can we see a pic of your set up? :) None of my leo set ups look good enough that I worry about the lights ;)

13. CodyW

CodyW Elite Member

They have them in the T8's. That is what I would get. Actually I would get the cheapo industrial T8's, as they are 1/8 the price and last much longer and are much more effecient and pretty much the same. The UV fluros ware out and are practically useless in a few months, actually thats the way it is with most fluros, and if the bulb burns hot it will ware out even faster.

14. Toadie78

Toadie78 Elite Member

I dont have a pic of thier new setup yet, im hopefully getting a digital camera for xmas so i hope to be able to get new pics soon. By melanin-challenged do you mean albino, blizzard n such? The lights are primarily for photoperiod control i just thought it might be helpful to have a reptile uv light as my girls are frequently out and about during the day.

As for the UV flouro the UV is said to last a year.... now to use a T8 bulb do i have to do anything special to my fixture as it uses a T10 bulb? or is it just plug n go?

15. Microscope Jockey

Yes I mean any morph that doesn't produce melanin normally. I don't care for the term albino since it isn't terribly situationally accurate so I avoid using it. More than the UV light in the room could harm such animals.

16. Toadie78

Toadie78 Elite Member

here is a pic of my leo tank.... It will be getting a cleaning tomorrow so dont worry bout the crix in the water or the "poop" corner lol

[​IMG]

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.