This Disappears When Logged In

Floridas Python Challenge Draws About 800 Hunters

Discussion in 'The Library' started by Rich, Jan 13, 2013.

1. lexiilish

lexiilish Elite Member

Most of those people couldnt find a deer infront of them let alone a snake with almost perfect camo. i could find more than that in a few days. also i hope theyre watching for cotton mouths among other deadly snakes slithering around in there

2. Rakoladycz

Rakoladycz Elite Member

I have never believed the media hype of the invasive reptile situation. I think this goes to show how dramatic the media was being about the situation and how out of proportion they have thrown it.

Most of the larger lizards that have established are limited to certain counties. If someone wants to really do something about invasives that are making a big impact there are much worse here. Cuban tree frog, cuban brown anole have all but wiped out the native green anole and our native green tree frogs. Talapia(spelling?) have taken over many/ of our fresh waterways.

At least in the Everglades there are two predators that can eat them as adults and everything else can until then.

I highly doubt just anyone is down there searching for these animals either. Many people actually trap all sort of reptiles and I don't just mean FWC, but those that catch for the pet trade as well as outdoorsmen that may catch and trap anything. They don't have to be dumb rednecks.

3. skelly98

skelly98 Elite Member

I'd laugh if one of the rednecks accidentally shot themselves. Seriously though, we don't need hundreds of people running around with guns and knives going to kill stuff. period.

Now, 37 snakes. I wonder how many native animals have been shot? Probably MUCH more than 37.

This whole thing really is not worth it.

4. Thalatte

Thalatte Elite Member

It never is but with the recent hyp over reptiles and laws banning them, the media and govt will continue to over inflate the issue in order to garner support for laws designed to do nothing more than bring in fines. You think the govt really cares about owning large snakes and thedangers associated with it?

5. chawk

chawk Banned User

snakeheads are more of a nusiance than talapia. snakeheads actually destory native fish nest and are very agressive towards other fish even of its own species. correct me if i am wrong but from what i understand snakeheads were brought in as pets then released. carp are the same way the are just bottom feeders that destory nesting grounds by rooting around for roots. carp where brought in for food and supposedly in 93' floods they got released but i know several people that had caught them in the late 80's. it just a matter of ignorant people releasing a species that they could eat from their home country

Last edited: Feb 6, 2013
  6. Rakoladycz

Rakoladycz Elite Member

I was just using them as an example. There are plenty of invasives here.

While the pet keepers get the brunt of the hassle for it, most of our lose reptiles came from the facilities that were damaged back in '92.

7. chawk

chawk Banned User

i under stand lol i was just saying

8. Rakoladycz

Rakoladycz Elite Member

So the python hunt is over. Over 1500 hunters and only 50 snakes found. I just have to laugh

9. Zappa230

Zappa230 Elite Member

I understand why they need to do that, but I still disagree with the whole thing.

10. cctbspencer

cctbspencer Elite Member

Like many others here have already mentioned, I have to wonder how many "non-Burmese" were killed.

Did anyone else see the story about the people who got lost and had to be airlifted out? I believe it was two guys from North Carolina. They were dehydrated, sunburned, and covered in bug bites.........hee-hee. I wonder if they'll have to repay all of the money the search and rescue cost. An 11 minute Life-Flight ride is $11,000 here!

11. Thalatte

Thalatte Elite Member

I love stories where the hunters end up the laughingstock of nature./.