This Disappears When Logged In

Florida Snake Hunts:

Discussion in 'Herp Awareness' started by Dragoness, Jul 21, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. nicole

nicole Elite Member

As long as they don't give everyone open season permission, I am okay with it. It is when everyone untrained goes out and does it cruelly, that is when I have a huge problem with it.

Kcftlaud, I think your version of a feral cat and mine are different. When I refer to ferals, I am talking about those that will rip your head off ( lol) when you try to touch them. These are the one that are wild, they have no contact with humans whatsoever.

The ones that are a little skittish and come around after time, are what I call strays, I work with them a lot and have a good success rate. The actual ferals in feral cat colonies I have zero luck with when they reach a certain age. They are not adoptable at all. Those are the ones that land you in the ER to get antibiotic shots in the rump when they bite you, lol. And yes, unfortunately for me I know this firsthand, lol.

2. Merlin

Merlin Administrator Staff Member Premium Member

The difference is that Wing and Prayer are captives, in containment, and not a threat to anybody or anything (except you ;) ) And you chose to take them in.
    They are not an invasive, breeding species over running an ecosystem where they were never meant to be.

3. Dragoness

Dragoness Elite Member

Yeah, because they would be using shovels, and the likes Ugh!

Most state lottos say they donate money to schools, and they do, BUT for every dollar given by the lotto one less dollar is given by the state. They do that quite on purpose.

4. Erin

Erin Well-Known Member

Being furry or mammal vs. reptile makes no difference. I grew up in an area where they would regularly invite out any interested person to "help cull deer." They weren't outdoorsmen or people who respected the animals they hunted - they just wanted to go out and kill something. Horrible stories always came out.

I completely understand where you are coming from, but I don't think this is based on it being reptiles, per se.

5. Lucysfriend

Lucysfriend Elite Member

As far as people hunting that are experienced, LOL ANYONE here can just buy a hunting permit and take a course and just hunt. Deer do more damage by being in roads, in stores, in yards around here. They can wreck havoc it seems. Cats are hunted with guns...if your outdoor cat is on a farmer's field, yes kitty can get shot. So can anyone's dog for that matter! My neighbor has an outdoor cat that hunts unbelievable stuff, that it drags home and places on her door,lol.
    They also kill endangered birds. There are so many reasons why the hunts on here. It's always hunting season for something here, turkeys, ducks, rabbits,grouse, any small game.
    Now I am not a hunter, I am just saying what is legal here...

6. MoogleBass

MoogleBass Kittes are so nice! Premium Member

Yay finally I can get a new pair of boots, and some burm meat! Tasty!

7. nicole

nicole Elite Member

Hopefully they will actually do something with them, instead of just wasting the meat and skin.

8. David McConley

David McConley Elite Member

I just read this whole thread and I agree that it is a tragic situation. This is not the fault of the snakes, but they have to pay yhe ultimate price. One thing to think about though is that members of USARK are also out there hunting the Burmese pythons along with the "hunters" and if I read the e-mail I got from Andrew Wyatt (President of USARK), the member who are out there have the option of euthanizing the snakes or keeping them for private collections(if they get the proper permits). So, I have to believe that at least some of them are spared. Again, I hope I read the e-mail correctly.

9. burmmamma

burmmamma Member

There are three reputable people in the reptile world that are making the decision on who is allowed to go in and hunt the burms so not just anyone is being allowed to do so. My husband was asked to submit an application and join in the hunt. He will be down there for 8 days at the end of August. We are burm breeders-we have years of experience in dealing with them but we are certain wild burms will be a whole new experience. As far as killing them-he will be humanely euthanizing them.
    We will have video and pics when he returns.

10. nicole

nicole Elite Member

I am so glad to hear the are not doing an open season on them.

Dragoness hit it right on the spot, when she mentioned people taking shovels and that kind of stuff to them. That is a nauseating thought.

Not to mention the amount of people out there who would seriously hurt themselves or others due to their own stupidity, and lack of knowledge on what exactly it is they are dealing with.

11. Dragoness

Dragoness Elite Member

Yeah, I hope they are put to use - it could even raise money for herp causes - sell the skins and meat, all proceeds going to local shelters and organizations. Doubt they will, but it would be nice to think they are not all being left to rot.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.