This Disappears When Logged In

Florida Snake Hunts:

Discussion in 'Herp Awareness' started by Dragoness, Jul 21, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Dragoness

Dragoness Elite Member

2. labelleninirose

labelleninirose Elite Member

Ughhh....Why do they have to kill them. This just made me sad. No its not alright they were freed into a habitat they are not from but still, people shouldn't be killing them!!! Especially the way they are. If they really have to be put down a vet should be the one doing it!

3. schlegelbagel

schlegelbagel Frog Lover Premium Member

This is what I don't get:

The pet python that strangled that child had NOTHING to do with any of the invasive animals found out in the wild!

Prevention. Just like you can't import cockroaches into southern florida, you shouldn't be able to import these snakes. Or at least if you do, have only so many permits a year and make it cost a whole bunch.

4. nicole

nicole Elite Member

I do not agree at all with having the hunters kill them.

I think they need to be taken to a vet and have them put down humanely.

5. schlegelbagel

I don't know about the hunters. Hunters kill all sorts of things, from deer to bison to rabbit. I don't find it any different. If you say the hunters should have a snake put down, then we should put down all that other game too by vets. Most hunters I know ARE compassionate to their prey. They don't torture them. The idea is swift and effective.

6. nicole

nicole Elite Member

I know I am bound by law, to take my animals into the vet and have them euthanised, what is the difference between them and me.

I run a legal, legit rescue, and still have to follow the laws.

Could you imagine the uproar it would cause, if I started putting my gravely ill snakes down the way they are doing it.

I would be sporting some new shiny silver bracelets.

7. Merlin

Merlin Administrator Staff Member Premium Member

But Nicole you are not dealing in the numbers of animals that they are going to be having to destroy. We aren't talking about a snake here and a snake there. This irradication program is intended to wipe out as many of them as they can, as quickly as they can. Requiring a vet to euthanize them would be too expensive to be acceptable.
    Its a sad situation and its all our fault.

8. nicole

nicole Elite Member

I have dealt in mass numbers of euthanasia when it comes to feral cats, nothing like that of course. However it makes me wonder, if these were not snakes and something furry instead, would it be okay then?

Probably not. Are animal cruelty laws not followed when it comes to this?

It is almost like the laws are deemed appropriate only when they fit someone's needs.

I am sure Florida has its's share of feral cat colonies that are sick, mangy, spreading disease, and frankly just need to be put down, but what if it was done the same way. Holy cow, that would make headlines, and there would be a ton arrested in that situation.

Seems to me the laws in regards to the proper humane treatment of animals is used when it is convenient, and that's it.

Are these people even trained properly? Or are these people like you and I ?

9. Dragoness

Dragoness Elite Member

Or make only one gender available. That's the deal with non-native insects that ARE allowed.

I would like to see that too, but that would require a lot more funding. I do not like to kill any animal, least of all one that's being killed as a result of human stupidity.

I think the best we can hope for is that the hunters at least make it swift and thorough, so as not to cause any suffering.

10. schlegelbagel

So a hunter when he goes and shoots a deer in the woods... that's not furry? When they take down a rabbit or elk? That's not furry?

You run a RESCUE. These animals are not rescued, they are being hunted. There is a difference.

An animal being hunted is NOT getting killed by a shmuck with a shotgun going after feral cats in his backyard. Like I said before, hunting is normally done quickly and with precision.

11. Dragoness

Dragoness Elite Member

I come from a family that hunts, and they take pride in their ability to minimize suffering - if you can't kill it with one shot, then don't take the shot - and to my knowledge, they all have, usually through the heart. (Much to my dismay, as I collect shoulder-blades, and a heart shot usually ruins one or both.)

I guess the only real difference in the end is the intention - deer and elk are not companion animals, where cats are.

To most people, snakes are not - most of them will not see any problem with this. It's the oddballs like us, the herpers who do not like it.

12. schlegelbagel

I'm an oddball because I don't mind, and I'm a herper. ;)

It said right there, they severed the head from the spine. That's usually instant. One would hope they do it in one swift blow.

13. Lucysfriend

Lucysfriend Elite Member

Um here they DO hunt feral cats. The law was passed a couple of years ago. I am trying to find the articles about it. They are making a wolf hunt here too. I read about that a couple of weeks ago. I haven't decided what I feel about this hunt yet, we don't have that problem here. Our winters take care of that...

14. Merlin

Merlin Administrator Staff Member Premium Member

And that is where I am different, apparently.
    I would have no problem with a feral cat hunt to remove THOSE populations.!
    But that is another discussion.

15. nicole

nicole Elite Member

I guess what I do not get is when, and where the law applies.

However, I did notice right off the bat, that they labeled it a hunt, which covers their behind.

I still want to know what kind of training these people have to make sure it is swift and quick.

As far as hunters, I live in a state where elk, deer, etc are hunted. However I have seen a ton of morons out there who can't hunt to save their lives. I would have to say from what I have seen more than half are idiots and should not be hunting. Just because you say you are a hunter , does not mean you are any good at it, or do it humanely.

16. Orca

Orca Elite Member

That is horrible that they have to do it :( I understand why but it terrible that the snakes have to be killed because of what humans have done.

And I think I agree with Nicole a little (if I understood her correctly) about her comparison to the feral cats. As a wildlife rehabber, I know that feral and outdoor cats kill thousands of threatened or endangered species every year but there aren't "hunts" out for them. But there are apparently for snakes. Whether its because the odds are better to re-home the cats than the reptiles or some other reason, it still doesn't seem fair.

17. Dragoness

Dragoness Elite Member

lots of animals are 'hunted' simply because they are not native, or even in their native numbers, are quite a pest - even deer in some regions have to be culled because of starvation and die-off.

Feral pigs are legal to hunt most everywhere, as are squirrels, rabbits (esp. in Australia, another case of human stupidity), deer in some places. There may even be places that offer bounty on particularly harmful species. I'd really have to look it up.

18. schlegelbagel

Cane toads. Brought in by man. Last I heard Australia was paying $1 or so per toad brought in dead.

19. nicole

nicole Elite Member

It is kind of what I am saying, the thing about feral cats is they are furry and cute ( from a distance), so they don't fall under the same category in the majority of people's minds. The same people that would be up at arms if we started "hunting" feral cats, would probably not care about the hunting of snakes.

I do not believe in just turning anyone and everyone loose to "hunt" and destroy these animals. While there may be a few good ones out there who can do it humanely, the majority will be uneducated people killing them in any way possible, which will be far from humane.

I do believe they have a serious problem down there and it needs to be dealt with, just not by anyone and everyone with little to no training.

As far as rehoming feral cats, good luck. If you can get them very young and work with them they have a chance ( by young I mean no older than 12 weeks ) For them it is either trap neuter and release, or rehome to a barn or farm, or unfortunately euthanize.

My point to this was, if I did this to say.... my Wing and Prayer ( because they are dangerous and not adoptable) people would be having a fit, including the majority on this forum. They would find it cruel and would be demanding justice.

I guess you just have to figure out when the laws apply to you and when they don't.,

This reminds me of the Rattlesnake roundups they do, people have fits over that.

20. kcftlaud08

kcftlaud08 Elite Member

I think another part of not "hunting" feral cats is that they are in human populated areas. At least more populated that the Everglades. We can't have people running around with machetes and ropes and guns through the neighborhood. Also my cats are indoor/outdoor. Both have been spayed but they do not have tags. They would be feral had I not taken them in. How would you know not to kill my child's cat?

They gave a select few permits to temporarily hunt and to people who are licensed trappers and have experience in this area. It is a trial. I'm sorry that the snakes have to die as well, but I can't afford to fund any other alternative with my taxes. I think they estimate about 150,000 out there. That's a huge problem. I'm betting my money that all the time I've wasted watching the Discovery Channel and Animal Planet about people looking for the Giant Python....it's probably here and they didn't need to look so far. We'll see if I'm right, which will require me buying a lotto ticket (to help fund the schools that have a gazillion dollar deficit as well).

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.