This Disappears When Logged In

Florida King Snake

Discussion in 'Kingsnakes' started by Livish, Jul 7, 2013.

1. Livish

Livish New Member

(I'm new.)
    So here's the deal.
    I got my first snake today, a Florida King Snake. I researched King and Corn snakes for a while in order to convince my parents to let me get one, and got my snake at a reptile show today. However, being the fickle teenager I am, I was having second thoughts after I got home. Basically wishing I got the other snake I was looking at.
    I'm pretty much just asking for your opinion on the type of snake, your experience with it, I guess. (it bit me a few times already.) He's a baby right now, and pretty freaked out by everything. So yeah. To be honest, I hadn't even planned to get a Florida King snake, if I got one it would be a Cali. So is there much difference between the two? I've loved snakes forever, so I guess maybe I'm just being picky since I've finally gotten one.
    Any other advice would be great too.

2. Wyldrose

Wyldrose Elite Member

Welcome!
    Baby snakes can and will bite when they are scared, threatened and stressed. Most out grow it once they realize your not going to eat them :)
    My best advice is to let him adjust to his new homes, 1 -2 weeks hands off, just refill water dish etc. I feed all my snakes in their bins, some say it makes them aggressive but I have never had an issue. Only bites have been when I didn't wash my hands after touching prey.

All snakes have different personalites, the breed/morph/local etc don't really play effect. Some cornsnakes can be very nippy, yet others sweet from the start.

I wouldn't loose hope and give up on the one you have, let him settle in, get some gloves if your afraid of being bitten and get use to holding him. You may have a change of heart and fall in love :)

3. Merlin

Merlin Administrator Staff Member Premium Member

Baby snakes can be nervous and bitey. Consider that everything in the wild would be trying to eat them. Give it time.

4. OrchidPal

OrchidPal Elite Member

I have 2 kings, and several corn snakes. They are all very wonderful and as Wildrose has said, they all have their own personality.
    With my yearling variable king snake, I've noticed a pattern. When he tries to swallow a finger or a thumb, it's clear to me he's hungry & needs to be bumped up. Meaning, he's ready for two food items at one feeding, or now, a larger size prey item.

My cali king, I got as an adult. He's only bitten me once, my fault, I startled him. It was more a surprise than anything. Also, my most mellow corn snake has taken a taste of a mouse hand, woops!

I agree with what Merlin has said, give him time. He'll figure out you don't want to eat him. Use tongs to feed him. Let him put his little "ferocious" on his food.

5. diehardislanders

diehardislanders Elite Member

Kings have very good feeding responses, and many seem cage aggressive because of this. Buy a small snake hook and get used to using it to condition your snake to know when it is not feeding time.