This Disappears When Logged In

Floor and Basking Area ?'s (iguana Enclosure)

Discussion in 'Substrates/Bedding/Flooring' started by dieselmatt02, Feb 11, 2010.

1. dieselmatt02

dieselmatt02 Well-Known Member

I'm in the middle of building Ulysess his new home. I currently have all the frame work done. I've added a 2x10 about 18 inches from the top of the enclosure that is the width of it, for the basking area.. I'm going to have another area closer to the bottom along with two ramps for him to climb up and down.

I'd like to cover the platforms and the ramps with something to make it look nice and easy for him to climb on. He only has three feet, the forth foot have been severly injured before I got him. Would an good quality outdoor carpet be alright to use on the platforms and ramps? Any recomendations or other suggestions?

For the bottom of the enclosure I'm thinking of using linoleum tiles adhered to a plywood floor to make the poop easy to clean up.

2. Dnm1012

Dnm1012 Elite Member

You could use the reptile carpet for your ramps but for the basking area some sort of flat rock would be good so it will retain heat after you day lights go off. My beardie loves his rock it stays nice and warm so he can hide under it at night and still have some warmth. Just make sure however you secure your carpet that you can easily take it out for replacement.

3. jono

jono Elite Member

i agree 100% on this one. the reptile carpet will ensure good grip on the platform when climbing and the rock will help transfer heat.
    i like your idea, but if you havent already finished building it, consider this. a retes stack can provide a multitude of hides with different temps, as well as a basking spot. (when placed under your basking area, of course) if youre unsure of what a retes stack is, it is basically a "condo" for moniters. the idea can easily be adapted for any lizard though! i cant find the right words to describe it, but do a google search and you will get the idea. lol you can build the stack separately so it is easily removable for cleaning.
    anyways, whichever route you go, sounds like youve got the right idea. good luck and post pics when finished! :)

4. Merlin

Merlin Administrator Staff Member Premium Member

The tiles are what I use but be sure and seal the joints so that nothing can run between them and get to the wood itself. And I would just tiles the basking shelf. Even with a foot missing he will still be able to move around. Iguanas are pretty hardy creatures and the foot being gone probably bothers us more than it does him.
    Personally I would not worry about having a basking platform down low. He probably will not use it.
    And retes stacks and basking rocks are fine for terrestrial lizards but really aren't appropriate for iguanas.
    For your climbing ramps, take grass rope and wrap it round and round the board. This will give you a good traction for him to climb on. Of course you could always try him with branches. He still has 3 perfectly functional feet with which to climb.

5. Moshpitrockchick

Moshpitrockchick Subscribed User Premium Member

On his ramp you could always cut grooves or nail small bars of wood onto it for traction.

My iguana has a piece of modular shelving as his basking ledge with a towel under his light that gets washed weekly. He loves to scratch around and make the towel into his bed, sometimes he even climbs under it.

6. jono

jono Elite Member

woops didnt know this was for an iggy. lol :p