This Disappears When Logged In

Flies

Discussion in 'Tree Frogs' started by geckoguy14, Jan 27, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. geckoguy14

geckoguy14 Elite Member

Hi guys,

Earlier in December I renovated my white's vivarium with a terra-cotta ball false bottom, covered by a substrate liner, and then cocofiber - dried sphagnum on top. I added a bunch of plants and plumbed a small powerhead through the background and up to flow water over a piece of driftwood.

This was all beautiful, and then it happened; flies, everywhere! Some little black flies, maybe fruit flies? They don't look like the fruit flies I've cultured for my darts in the past and they dont seem to be bothering my whites. I dont want to have to completely go back to paper towels but I will if I have to. What do I need to do to get rid of those stupid things?

-Adam

2. kenman1963

kenman1963 Moderator

The plants you added, real or fake ?

3. geckoguy14

geckoguy14 Elite Member

couple brom pups, creeping fig, fern and misc terrarium plants from both petco and blackjungle....all live

4. MoogleBass

MoogleBass Kittes are so nice! Premium Member

Holy ****...Its Adam hes alive! Long time no see Adam.

5. schlegelbagel

schlegelbagel Frog Lover Premium Member

They are just gnats and they will go away in time. Totally harmless. However that spagnum moss isn't. Toss it, its horrible. If the frog swallows it, it can wrap around the intestines and cut off circulation. Go for eco-earth instead.

6. geckoguy14

geckoguy14 Elite Member

their is eco-earth underneath the sphagnum, i guess i just used sphagnum because 1) it keeps the cocofiber from being spread all around the tank and 2) it helps keep the plants in place. But considering it's also pretty dirty right now, out it goes.

Thanks schagle, its a huge relief to know that i dont have to completely dismantle my beautiful viv...again!

Hi nate! Yes of course im alive, and you would know that if you ever got on facebook you recluse :p

7. wildheart

wildheart Elite Member

I have the same problem in my cricket containers, I hate them, but even if I clean out everything they always return. I think it is the food that attracts them.

8. schlegelbagel

schlegelbagel Frog Lover Premium Member

Yeah, don't worry about them. I get an infestation about once a year, and they go away on their own.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.