This Disappears When Logged In

Flies Laying Eggs In Crested Gecko Diet

Discussion in 'Rhacodactylus' started by angelann1994, Nov 11, 2015.

1. angelann1994

angelann1994 Member

I have 12 different reptiles and the only ones that have gnats are the gargoyle geckos and the crested geckos. It is so frustrating! I'll mix up food for the night and the next morning there will be eggs in the food! Can this make them sick if they eat any? Does anyone else have this problem with gnats and/or eggs being laid in the food?

2. mshrmheadcharge

mshrmheadcharge Moderator Staff Member Premium Member

You can use a decoy bowl of fruit and veggies to help keep them out of the crestie food. I'm not sure if it is harmful for the crested geckos to eat the eggs, but I doubt it.
    Wine and beer also attracts them, you can set out a glass of it and that should help attract them away from the enclosures.

3. DragonSlayer

DragonSlayer Established Member

Put a little dishwashing liquid in any "bait" and they won't be able to fly once they land in the beer/wine

4. Darkbird

Darkbird Elite Member

Apple cider vinegar with a couple drops of dawn dish soap is quite effective at attracting the little buggers, and then your not wasting your adult beverages. I deal with these things a lot. I doubt they will in any way harm your geckos either, but they are annoying.