This Disappears When Logged In

Flexwatt Questions

Discussion in 'Heating' started by Knox, Dec 5, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Knox

Knox Elite Member

I am trying to get my budget together for building my rack system, and my final piece to the puzzle is heating.

Where do most of you get your flexwatt? How much is it?

I can find links on wiring the rheostat or thermostat (or combo if I have the cash).

I have seen the trend swing toward back heating instead of under heating to keep the flexwatt from wear and tear. In this case, is the flexwatt suspended openly or attached to a strip of wood? Also, I would need more of a 90 degree angle on the back and less of a "bowl" shape in my containers, correct? Possible Iris tubs or, if I can afford them, Cambro "clear as glass" containers...

Last thing... If I go with back heating, and just want to use my lids, then an "open frame" with 1x2 framing should be substantial, having the shelves narrow enough to keep presure on the lids, correct? (This would be cheaper than plywood :D ).

As always, thanks! I appreciate your time and patience with me as I plan this all out. I promise to post pics when I get the thing built.

2. Rich

Rich Administrator Staff Member Premium Member

Hello,

I bought my heat tape at bigappleherp. Its extremely cheap. You can use it on the bottom and avoid wear and tear by adding 1/16" stripping to keep the tubs slightly elevated.

You can use melamine to built the rack and it comes with a finished look and is cheaper than plywood. (depending upon the thickness of the ply you intended on using.)

1x2 framing would be fine if the tops are being used. If this rack is for snakes, I would make the lids a tight fit and add the venting to the back and sides of the tubs.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.