This Disappears When Logged In

Fixture Question

Discussion in 'Product Questions' started by EctoJoJo, Jul 23, 2017.

1. EctoJoJo

EctoJoJo Well-Known Member

Ive been trying to figure something out.. I have several lamp fixtures with built in dimmers. I like them this way because it keeps things simpler with wiring as upposed to adding a rheostat separately. The one with the 8.5 inch rim holds up to 150 watts, and the one with the 5.5 inch rim holds up to 75 watts. Is this strictly because of the size of the metal reflector or is it also in the wiring / base. I also like these because I can always but the max wattage and dial it down. The reason I ask is because I would like the 5.5 inch I use on a tall exo terra to have a touch more than 75 watts. Obviously safety is of upmost concern so I was wondering if it was okay to just change the shroud. Of course if not I have no problem buying a rheostat separate and a small dome capable of holding 100 watts which seems to be the max for this size fixture. If anyone with technical knowledge in this matter has any input I would greatly appreciate it. I just have numerous fixtures that each have a feature the other one doesn't and was wondering if I could combine for maximum effectiveness.
    As always any info is greatly appreciated.

2. AmityReptiles

AmityReptiles Established Member

The max wattage has nothing to do with the reflector, it has to do with the wiring and at what point it will explode (I may be exaggerating a little bit).
    If you already have a reflector you can buy ceramic sockets that are 150w max (or higher) at the hardware store and it's way cheaper than a new lamp.
    What are you keeping in there out of curiosity? Why do you want a 5.5in dome?

3. EctoJoJo

I have a tokay in there the 75 watt ir spot bulb just barely brings the basking spot up to 90/95. So I was just kind of planning ahead for some of the colder temps that occur here in northern PA. I can always do supplement heat via other methods, it was just a curiosity thing while I was looking through my equipment and seeing the max wattage labels to make sure I didn't overload things.

4. AmityReptiles

AmityReptiles Established Member

Makes sense. Yeah I live in MO and winter can be an issue here as well.

5. EctoJoJo

It is nice working in a hardware store it shouldn't take much at all to get a few ceramic sockets to change if I want.