This Disappears When Logged In

First Timer...13 Week Old Ball Python SICK

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself' started by TiffRad22, Mar 17, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. TiffRad22

TiffRad22 New Member

I have two beautiful 13 week old ball pythons...Dakota (FeMale) and Dallas (Male)....and you guys will be hearing a lot about them...
    I will need your help raising these two...
    3 weeks after having them Dallas have a cold..Nothing major i dont think...He has no signs of a runny nose and he's very much active...But Dallas is sneezing, sounds like he's coughing, and yawning a lot...His nose is greyish/blackish color and his mouth is slightly opened cus i dont think he can breathe well from his nose...Is he congested?
    His tank was always on 80 rather it was day or night and the apartment tempature is usually on 70-75...so im not sure if it needs to be hotter than that in his tank because i cant see no other way that he should be getting sick at a young age like this...He's too young to go to the vet to get that shot because i heard that it can kill them because they are so young...Is there any type of remedies i could use to actually cure his cold before it gets any worse...I cant lose my baby i've gotten to attached to him....

Sorry that this a way of saying hi but any type of help is needed right now and i was recommended because people on here give great advice...Thank You....And Hi....

2. nicole

nicole Elite Member

ok, first of all you need to raise your temps, have a basking area of around 88 to 92 since he is sick, You also need to get him to a vet pronto as he sounds like he has a respitory infection that has beeen going on for quite a while, Untreated this will kill him. I have no idea what you are talking about getting a shot and it killing him. Antibiotics have been given to baby snakes and are sucessful a lot of the times. Make sure you find a herp vet, not a dog and cat vet.
    Herp Vet Connection

3. fire2225ems

fire2225ems Subscribed User Premium Member

Wanted to say welcome! Like Nicole said, sound like you have a very sick baby on your hands and I would get him to the vet. Actually, I would take both to the vet, especially if they are housed together.

4. Merlin

Merlin Administrator Staff Member Premium Member

Welcome to HerpCenter!
    You are very wrong. The snake equivalent of a cold is more like our pnuemonia and is a VERY serious situation!
    His lungs are full of fluid and he is literally drowning in his own mucous. At this stage the infection is advanced. Immediate vet care is essential if you want to save your snake.
    Go to ARAV or Herp Vet Connection to find a good herp vet near you.!
    thats way too cool. You need a basking are in the upper 90s. You need to get that heat up now! That is part of the problem
    Who told you that? Thats total nonsense! This snake needs to see a vet and get on antibiotics, NOW!
    No! There are no home remedies for this He needs a vet! And the longer you wait the less chance he has of pulling thru this. Please listen. This is a very serious situation and time is of the essence.

5. BlackJack

BlackJack Subscribed User Premium Member

Welcome to HC. I'm sorry to hear your BP is sick.
    Merlin has covered all the points clearly. This is a very serious condition and must be treated by a reptile vet immediately. I would also recommend treating both snakes, as it is very likely they both have the infection.

Good luck and keep us posted on how they are doing.

6. Typhanie

Typhanie Elite Member

Welcome. I'm sorry to hear you're having a problem so early.

Take Merlin's and Nicole's suggestions. He definitely needs to see a vet right away. I hope from there everything goes really well for you, and please let us know how it went, and if he recovers.

We also love pictures. :) When he's feeling better, we expect to see many. ;)

7. vegasandbecca

vegasandbecca Elite Member

Sorry to hear the little one is having so much trouble. Hope he pulls through it OK.

Welcome!!!

8. mshrmheadcharge

mshrmheadcharge Moderator Staff Member Premium Member

Good luck at the vet and please let us know how it goes, once they are all better I hope to see lots of pics :)
    Welcome to the site and Im sorry that your snakes are so sick at such a young age, if you get them to the vet asap undoubtly they will pull through with no complications.

9. Lyn

Lyn Elite Member

welcome to herp center...you have received great advice..hope your baby is ok...

10. schlegelbagel

schlegelbagel Frog Lover Premium Member

welcome. This is all very good information.

11. lizardking508

lizardking508 Elite Member

Welcome to the site. Hope everything goes ok at the vets.

Ron

12. Lyn'sSteve

Lyn'sSteve Elite Member

Hello TiffRad22,

Welcome to Herp Center! Everyone else has said what has to be said ... I just pray! Hope Dallas is ok, and that you are enjoying the site!

13. DarkMagician207

DarkMagician207 Elite Member

welcome to HC! glad you joined. i hope you'll take everyone's advice and take them both to the vet right away. what one has the other could catch easily and kill them both. it is better to treat them both now instead of one catching it later and starting the whole cycle of exchanging illnesses all over again.

good luck with them. i hope they pull through.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.