This Disappears When Logged In

First Time Tarantula Owner with Pink Toe. Questions!

Discussion in 'Arachnids General' started by Joe17, Feb 8, 2011.

1. Joe17

Joe17 New Member

I'm new to the forum and just bought a pink toed tarantula! Its in a five gallon tank. The tank is horizontal, not vertical like some. I have a big log diagonal from corner to corner with a fake plant and a hollow log shelter. Is that fine to do or do I have to make the tank vertical? The tarantula seems young. It's not to big like in some pictures. How big do pink toes get? Same size as a rose haired? Does anyone have pics of their enclosures and pink toes? I would love to see some!

What is their normal behavior? Mine just sits on the log and that it. It just sits their and isn't happy looking. It's not shriveled or anything but just stays still. Is that normal? Also, I had gotten the log/stick from by backyard tree. Is that bad? I'm freaking out because aren't you supposed to sterilize it?! How? My parents would never let me bake it in our oven!

Im still freaked out by it in a way. I'm scared to death! Lol the pet store worker just scooped him up and the pink toe was friendly but I'm still jumpy around it.

- let me know if you need pictures!

2. mld

mld Subscribed User Premium Member

I don't own a pink toe, but i do know that they are not ground dwelling tarantula, they are climbers so they need more height and branches, things to climb up and hide in like fake vines. Most arboreal type also require more humidity.

I know there is a member who has one, I'll try to find her posts.

3. mld

4. Joe17

Joe17 New Member

Yeah that's why I have branches coming from the top to the bottom of the tank. I will have to post a picture of the enclosure. She has a lot to climb on. She seems young so when it gets bigger I will find a way to put the tank vertical. I only have a wire mesh lid, not a plexiglass one so the substrate would fall out =\

5. Joe17

Joe17 New Member

Thanks! I wish their were more pictures of arboreal(sp?) spider enclosures. I hope my tarantula is happy!

6. mld