This Disappears When Logged In

First Snake

Discussion in 'Snakes - General' started by wikin, Mar 7, 2015.

1. wikin

wikin Member

I have already got 5 lizards (3 beardies, two chams) and was considering a snake but dont know what snake would be good. I have a good fair amount of space max (5ft long x 3ft high x 2ft deep). If you could suggest nice morphs that would be helpful and an average price. I am not to botherd by price but not really expensive.

2. mshrmheadcharge

mshrmheadcharge Moderator Staff Member Premium Member

Are you looking for a smaller species, or larger? What type of temperament would you prefer in a snake? How much handling do you want to do?

3. wikin

wikin Member

not to large but i dont mind really. I would like to handle on occasion or as much as possible. So i would prefer a calmer snake

4. toddnbecka

toddnbecka Well Established Member

A taller enclosure like that would suit a carpet python or Dominican red mountain boa nicely, they're semi-arboreal snakes and like to climb. Prices for babies range from $100-$300 depending on the breeding and colors/morphs. Carpet pythons are more variable in disposition, I got lucky with mine, never struck or bitten. Some are nippy as babies but most tend to outgrow that, and some just don't like to be handled at all.
    P1060579_zpshehompv1.jpg

The DRMB's are simply great snakes as far as disposition, worst they'll ever do is musk if they feel stressed. The high red morphs are expensive as adults, the other morphs much less so. Here's a couple of my 4'+ sub-adults, paid around $400/each for them, same price as my 2.5' high red yearlings:
    P1060623_zpsjkjdnmne.jpg

P1060643_zpsxgu9oq2x.jpg
    Here's a pic of a yearling shortly after arrival last September, they take 4-5 years to mature.
    P1060460_zps10e6302d.jpg
    High red adults sell for $1500-2000, and generally look like this (disregard the imitation of a ball python, it's actually a boa. lol):
    photo3_zpsc571f2ce.jpg

If you want to stay under $100 there are a variety of rat snakes that would also make use of the taller enclosure. The everglades is my favorite climbing rat snake, Taiwan beauty rat snakes are also active and pretty handleable from what I've read.
    Everglades rat snake about 18 months old:
    P1060599_zpsozudsjhq.jpg

P1060608_zpsbo2qb494.jpg

In general, colubrids are more active, not inclined to settle down and chill out with you while you watch tv. Boas and pythons are somewhat calmer, though of course there are differences among individuals, but generally less flighty when handled IME.

5. CTU2fan

CTU2fan Elite Member

I pretty much agree with all of the above. I'd add normal boa constrictors to the mix as that space would be enough and they're pretty calm mellow snakes. If you don't want super huge go for a Colombian male, also the various color morphs of boas are descended from Colombians.