This Disappears When Logged In

First Shed! (with Me)

Discussion in 'Kingsnakes' started by Herefishyfishy, Jul 25, 2013.

1. I hadn't taken a good look at Jörmungandr (my anery brooks) since Tuesday when I fed him, I went to get him out today and I noticed he was super jumpy (he's usually a complete puppy-dog), then when I got him out of the shadows saw he is full blue and looking rather dusky! Back into his hide he went.
    My humidity gauge is reading between 55% to 58% throughout the day and I just moved his water dish to the warm side to help up the humidity and bring it closer to his preferred safe spot for soaking if he wants. Unfortunately the two pet stores in my area are out of sphagnum moss, would putting something like a damp paper towel or wash cloth in my humid hide box be okay because it is only temporary?
    Any other suggestions? I've browsed some of the other shed threads but was wondering more specifically if people ever cover their tank (he's in a glass aquarium) so the snake feels safe soaking?
    Yay, I'm so thrilled! I cannot wait to see how beautiful his markings will be post-shed.

2. Ieasa

Ieasa Elite Member

It is very exciting when they have their first shed with you. Our baby boa is in his second shed with us. Possible just as exciting for me. Lol.

3. Haha, I wonder if it will ever get less exciting?
    Did you keep the skin? I feel like that would be pretty cool if the shed is complete, to keep it for comparison when he is finally fully mature.

4. bearsnake27

bearsnake27 Member

You don't want to make it too humid in your tank because kings only have one working lung and to high of humidity can cause a respiratory infection. The humidity you have your tank at right now if fine for him to shed. You can put a good side water bowl in his tank for him to soak in if you'd like though. Have fun with your first shed its so awesome to watch! :)