This Disappears When Logged In

First Post: I Own a Rosy Boa and Got My First Sand Boa a Week Ago.

Discussion in 'Rosy Boas & Sand Boas' started by kevintj0913, Nov 11, 2013.

1. kevintj0913

kevintj0913 Member

I am new to the snake raising and was wondering what size of mice my rosy should eat? it is about 18 inches long. I usually feed it three pinkies but feel like I should try fuzzies. My kenyan sand boa is feeding on pinkies and doing well. The rosy lives in a 40 gallon breeder with three hides and a fake plant for it to climb on. The sand boa lives in a 20 gallon long with one hide and a small decoration. I bought the rosy almost a year ago and never had a problem with health or feedings. if you have any comments or suggestions feel free to ask! I can even post pictures sometime.

2. thinkbig317

thinkbig317 Elite Member

Hey there and welcome aboard. If your feeding your rosy 3 pinkies at a time I think moving up to fuzzies is a great idea. Have any pics of your snakes?

3. kevintj0913

kevintj0913 Member

I think i will move him to fuzzies as soon as the pinkies run out. I will upload a pic of them so everyone can see.

image (1).jpg

image (2).jpg

image (3).jpg

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 11, 2013
  4. rimridge

rimridge Well-Known Member

Perhaps it's the picture, but it looks like your Rosy is on the light side. A rosy boa of 18 inches should be eating at least Hoppers but probably small to large adult mice. For what I have been noticing, people seem to be under estimating the size of prey a rosy boa can eat. My new born rosy boa babies for there first feeding will easily take down a peach fuzzy mouse or up to 5 pinky mice. My adult males that are about 18 inches (large adult mice) and the adult females (jumbo mice, adult asf's or weaned rats) and preconditioning them for breeding, times 2. I would say that if you have under 20 pinkies left, feed them all next feeding and move it up to hoppers or small adult mice and after a few feedings of these, don't be afraid to give it 2.

5. kevintj0913

kevintj0913 Member

I really appreciate the advice. I'll start feeding the rosy larger prey and a larger quantity. I was afraid the rosy would choke or have problems with larger food. Also, the picture of the rosy is from March or April He is rounder. Also, how much should I feed my sand boa, I want to avoid making the mistake of underfeeding again. Thanks for the advice. I want my reptiles to be as healthy as possible.

6. Jflores

Jflores Elite Member

WoW, both your Rosie and Sand Boa are amazing. I will never forget our beautiful sand boa, now that was a garbage disposal, she would destroy anything from jumbo mice to rat pups...Looking forward to seeing more pics!!

7. kevintj0913

kevintj0913 Member

I really like my sand boa, i just wish it would come out a little more. I got him a little over a week ago. I have seen him out two times after i turned the light off.

8. rimridge

Could you describe your sand boas age and size? Looking at the picture it looks like it would be on fuzzy to a small hopper sized mouse or a couple fuzzy mice. Maybe starting with one for a few feedings and then two.
    Nice snakes, I especially like the rosy, do you know it's gender? It's been about 10 years since I have had any Kenyans and bred them once.

9. kevintj0913

kevintj0913 Member

The sand boa seems to be young. its maybe 8 inches. I don't know the gender of my rosy. I never thought to have them sexed. From all of the advice I will be sure to buy fuzzies for the snakes and see how it goes then consider moving up to hoppers. Do you know where I can buy mice in large quantities, Buying at petsmart is really expensive for the few you get.

10. rimridge

Your sand boa should be ready to move up to small fuzzy mice for awhile. I agree that pet store mice are rather on the expensive side. I am from Canada so I am not really sure where the best place is for you to buy cheaper mice (but know there is) I would hope that someone else will chime in with an answer for you.

11. dtstarke12

dtstarke12 New Member

I've found a few sites that sell them online...rodentpro.com and bigcheeserodents.com. Their individual prices are super cheap, but then when I went to checkout, the shipping was about $25. So I've been settling for PetCo f/t for now

12. kevintj0913

kevintj0913 Member

I found a site yesterday where the mice are 20 cents but don't know if they are quality mice or not. I don't want to feed them tainted or bad quality food. Last night the sand boa was actually out. he was laying on the fake skull with half of its body through the eye socket lol. I really wish it would come out more often.

13. Merlin

Merlin Administrator Staff Member Premium Member

Your best bet is going to be at a reptile expo. There are usually rodent suppliers there. With only two snakes buying in bulk online probably isn't an option for you. You would have to buy in large quantity to even out the shipping charges.
    But checkout Frozen Mice, Frozen Rats, Rabbits, Guinea Pigs, Chicks and Quail and see.

14. kevintj0913

kevintj0913 Member

I live in a very rural area. Going to a pet store takes an hour so I would like to be able to buy in bulk and freeze them since driving there and back to buy mice would cost as much as shipping.

15. Merlin

I have been using Rodentpro for years.
    The reason for the high price of shipping is they have to include a big chunk of dry ice to keep your feeders frozen solid in transit.
    If you can locate an expo you will pay less for the feeders than from the pet store but more than from a shipper. But you don't have to pay shipping and you get to have fun looking at all the stuff!

16. kevintj0913

kevintj0913 Member

nice I'll be sure to try rodentpro and locate an expo. I assume Cincinnati should have an expo

17. Merlin

18. kevintj0913

kevintj0913 Member

the cin city reptile show is close to my, I am an hour and 15 from King's Island. I would like to check it out sometime. Also, in a few weeks i'll be graduating from Miami U of ohio and will be living with my parents and my room is in the garage. What is the best way to keep my reptiles warm during the winter? I dont know if there will be space for 3 enclosures. i thought about buying a shelf unit with adjustable shelves and put it where my bearded dragon is now.

19. kevintj0913

kevintj0913 Member