This Disappears When Logged In

First Pet Snake, Ideas?

Discussion in 'Snakes - General' started by kholm15, Jul 25, 2013.

1. Poison

Poison Elite Member

I trust my dog 100% :p
    A wild snake wont hesitate to bite your hand.

I don't beleive these are wild snakes. Sure they originated from the wild but again a wild snake wont hesitate to bite your hand once you reach to grab them. Tame:Not dangerous or frightened of people. Sounds a lot like most snakes in captivity does it not? Show me proof that they are frightened :)

2. Poison

Poison Elite Member

I never once said they like to be handled. Not sure how that got into the convo.

3. Andyc3020

Andyc3020 Elite Member

I've held plenty of wild snakes and have never been bitten. So I have to say, they will sometimes hesitate.

4. Poison

Poison Elite Member

Sorry I should have said they will become defensive. Though I have caught gaters that didnt seem to care much of being picked up. So I guess the majority of wild snakes will become defensive. It is my opinion that snakes have the ability to learn. This opinion has not been proven false. Seems to me that some people are trying to pass off their opinion as fact without proof. (no offence to those people). And its not only this forum it is a lot of people out their. I always let it be known that this is my opinion or experience.

Last edited: Jul 25, 2013
  5. jdandlucy

jdandlucy Elite Member

and yes snakes will bite you when they are babys and have not been conditioned.

6. Poison

Poison Elite Member

I did what right there?

Mind quoting a part of my post that this was suppose to respond to?

I'm having a hard time fallowing the posts today (I'm sick)

7. jdandlucy

jdandlucy Elite Member

you believe what you want, you do as you like. but i know i will never be bit in the face, or have any snake constrict around my throat. i will no longer sit here and argue over this. when you get bit, remember back to this message so i dont have to tell you i told you so

8. Poison

Poison Elite Member

Wow. When did this turn so personal? I've been bit LOTS of times in the face. Its nothing new lol.

Edit: sorry for taking over the thread. Didnt mean to start such an "argument".

Last edited: Jul 25, 2013
  9. Katsura

Katsura Elite Member

Hey frogs, are you on reptileforums.net?

10. Poison

Poison Elite Member

Yes. As poison (use to be the same as here but I got it changed).

11. Releep

Releep Elite Member

Sorry I have to add my two cents. I believe that snakes can learn and do form their own likes and dislikes. My wife's ball python will let her know when she wants out of the cage, then if she wants to be held or put down. That snake is one of a kind she will put her head on your lips until you give her kisses then when she's had enough she pulls her head away. That snake loves to hang out on your neck or if you have long hair like me and my wife do she will sometimes crawl into your hair and ride around for hours. And yes I do know the dangers I have some aggressive snakes I have snakes that usually are tame as can be but they can still lash out on occasion.

IMG_20130724_210613_290_zpse6dabd5a.jpg
    Case in point the one that tagged me is a 11ft female that just had babies a few weeks ago and is hungry as ****.
    It was my fault I didn't wash my hands after handling pinkie rats for her babies.

Attached Files:

12. diehardislanders

diehardislanders Elite Member

Back to the original point here:
    You mentioned Rosy boas, I think they are a good first snake. They are pretty small, and are not much of a climber. Pretty easy to keep, eat well, generally very docile.
    I think carpet pythons are good snakes. Most people do not consider them beginner snakes, they can be nippy as babies, but they handle well and will climb all over you while you walk the house.
    If you want a very laid back snake, I think you should avoid colubrids, go to a reptile expo, and handle and get some hands on knowledge of a few different species. If you handle a few different adult snakes (for instance, carpet python, hog island boa, rosy boa etc) you will leave knowing what you want.

13. TJOHNSON722

TJOHNSON722 Elite Member

I agree with diehardislanders (spelling?) Go hold some adults. You'll know what you want then. Its easy to see a baby and say I want that, then you end up with a 12 foot snake you can't handle. That being said, My hog island boa didn't mind being held. My carpet, nippy. My boa, bites. My ball pythons don't but, from what I've read, you don't want those.

Either way, you'll have to put A LOT of time and patience to get to the point where you can put them even near your face. Have I done it, yes. However I have had the snake since a baby and its held almost daily. Any snake that's not held a LOT by the owner will bite and you don't want those near your face and neck.

Hope this helps some.

14. jdandlucy

jdandlucy Elite Member

carpet python babys are nippy, and adults are cage aggressive. luckily the babys teeth are not big enough to pose any problems, and the adults body language is easy to understand even for a beginner. my 2 carpets are by far my favorite snakes.

15. DustinQ

DustinQ Elite Member

I think you shouldn't rule out the ball pythons just yet. I know some can be picky eaters but most aren't or at east not the ones I've encountered but like the others said its important to check out the adults