This Disappears When Logged In

First Pet Snake, Ideas?

Discussion in 'Snakes - General' started by kholm15, Jul 25, 2013.

1. kholm15

kholm15 Member

I'm getting my first pet snake in a few weeks and am having trouble deciding on what to get. I already have experience with reptiles as i currently breed leopard geckos. I already have a 40 gallon breeder setup with 3 inches of aspen and carefresh bedding in it and two hiding spots with a large water dish as well and a heat mat on one side. I would like a snake that i can have around my neck while im at the computer or playing guitar. I have already ruled out ball pythons because of there potential eating problems and corn snakes because most of them don't sit still. I was thinking maybe a rosy boa but im still undecided. any input would be much appreciated

2. jdandlucy

jdandlucy Elite Member

first thing. DO NOT PUT SNAKES OF ANY SIZE AROUND YOUR NECK.

3. Merlin

Merlin Administrator Staff Member Premium Member

Then I suspect that you are going to be disappointed. There really are not any snakes that are just going to lay there like an ornament while you go about your doings.

4. Andyc3020

Andyc3020 Elite Member

dead snakes will

5. Poison

Poison Elite Member

Show me one case where a corn snake choked out a person please :)

6. Poison

Poison Elite Member

I agree. Only snake I can think of is a ball python. But he already ruled that out.

7. kholm15

kholm15 Member

okay guys i didn't mean an "ornament snake", i just meant one species of snake that are known for being chill enough to have on you for a while

8. Poison

Poison Elite Member

Hog island boa.

9. jdandlucy

jdandlucy Elite Member

by doing so it starts bad habits. a corn snake may or may not be able to choak you out but it would not be a comfortable experience for either party. and my self i personally dont like a snake so close to my face.

10. Poison

Poison Elite Member

Imo I see zero risk of letting a smaller species around your neck.

11. Merlin

Aside from being bitten in the face?

12. Katsura

Katsura Elite Member

You're pretty much just looking at a ball python. And you've already ruled that out. So.

13. jdandlucy

jdandlucy Elite Member

my thoughts exactly merlin. even a corn snake bite to the face would be bad

14. Poison

Poison Elite Member

LOL a corn snake bite to the face is not that bad. How likely is it for a corn to even bite? A snake is not just gonna bite you for no reason. Learn how to handle and understand your snakes.

15. Merlin

Unless it gets you in the eye!

16. Merlin

However figuring out why you got bit after the fact is not going to help. I hear a lot of stories about people getting bitten in the face by a variety of species and my opinion is it has to do with our front facing eyes(the sign of a predator) as well as the warmth and even scent of our breath.
    In other words "this big thing is fixing to eat me":eek:!

17. Poison

Poison Elite Member

Has this ever been proven to be fact?

18. Merlin

Has what been proven? That they are afraid of being eaten?
    Just my own observations and decades of talking with other keepers.

19. Poison

Poison Elite Member

If they are afraid of being eaten I don't see what would stop then from biting the minute you put your hand in to hold them.

I was wondering if its been proven that the eyes and warm breath of a person triggers a snake to be more defensive. I'm open to other peoples observations but this is something I would only believe if they was proof to back it up.

20. jdandlucy

jdandlucy Elite Member

just with a dog you dont know or trust, keep your face away from them. no snake is tame, their still wild animals and will always be wild animals. what we think as tame is just conditioning. getting them used to the idea of us holding them. that dont meen they like the idea. all of my snakes are holdable, but they dont come out and act as to say "pick me up". i have seen other ppl handeling snakes and when ever they look them eye to eye the snakes do go into a defensive posture. i myself do not want to be the one who finds out first had that this is true. i will listen to more experienced handlers, and listen to their words.