This Disappears When Logged In

First "Official" Field Herping

Discussion in 'Field Herping' started by LovetheBaruu, May 22, 2011.

1. LovetheBaruu

LovetheBaruu Subscribed User Premium Member

My five year- olds and ten year old are notorious for their finds in the school fields and around our home. Today we took them on an field herping family trip- it was a success! Snapping turtles, box turtle, Eastern water snakes, assorted frogs and no whining!

Attached Files:

2. brandon

brandon Elite Member

Awesome! Glad you guys had a good time.

3. mld

mld Subscribed User Premium Member

Wish I lived closer, it looks like your field trip was a success, great pictures!

Kids are closer to the ground, maybe thats why they find thing so well! No I think they are just intuitive!

4. LovetheBaruu

All three of them walked past the turtle and she was a good size. I thought it was a Blandings turtle- I was told it was a box turtle (by a DNR employee)- I am not convinced...

5. mld

mld Subscribed User Premium Member

6. gapeachkatie

gapeachkatie Elite Member

If that turtle is suppose to be the "box" turtle, I agree the DNR person was wrong. Box turtles tend to have nicely defined markings, while Blanding's tend to have few or very fine markings with smooth shells. Oh well, DNR people think they know everything.

7. LovetheBaruu

It is a female Blandings- I was wearing my smarty pants;).

8. gapeachkatie

gapeachkatie Elite Member

Last time I was out at the state park, the DNR guy tried to tell me a banded water snake was a copperhead. I laughed and stayed put watching it.

9. methos75

methos75 Elite Member

Haha, I went to a state park here in LA and they have a Common Snapper labeled as a Alligator Snapper and me and the park ranger argued for half an hour over its ID and even after I showed by credentials and my breeder permit for AST's he still refused to concur LOL

10. geckograndma

geckograndma Well-Known Member

I am glad you had a good time.

11. Merlin

Merlin Administrator Staff Member Premium Member

Just because someone works for a garage,...it doesn't make them a mechanic!;)

12. GeckoLover

GeckoLover Well-Known Member

Sounds like a very enjoyable field trip! My kids are too old to do anything like that now. But I grab my camera every once in a while & disappear for field trips. =)

13. LovetheBaruu

Although it is not the first thing Michael would choose to do, as a family outing, I guess he enjoyed the trip - look what he had made for Jonathan and me.. using old golf clubs and (this proves he actually listens to me) the design has a flat section to hold the snake long to let it "express itself:">" before picking it up.

Attached Files:

14. gazjd

gazjd Elite Member

id love to be able to take my kids out doing that but im afraid the only things you'd find in any field local to me would be teenagers getting wasted! lol

15. LovetheBaruu

That is sad! No state parks or DNR locations nearby? They just brought this up from our "lake" to show me...

We found a larger one last year, guess they aren't as unusual as I had thought.

Attached Files:

16. teach920

teach920 Subscribed User Premium Member

You've definitely got a "keeper" in your Michael....what a very thoughtful gift.