This Disappears When Logged In

First Herp Show!!

Discussion in 'Shows and Expos' started by kiraturmc, Jun 3, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. kiraturmc

kiraturmc Elite Member

I just had to share... we're so excited. We're going to our first herp show this weekend in Jacksonville. The boys think they want another leo, but we have done some research on beardies as well just in case. So we'll see what we come home with. Any words of wisdom for a first timer??

2. David McConley

David McConley Elite Member

Just one word of advice... you can't take everything home with you!! Seriously, go to the show and look around,enjoy yourselves and ask questions of everyone there. The people there are normally pretty nice and don't mind answering a question or even a thousand of them. I normally walk around three or four times before I decide to consider buying anything- this helps me to avoid impulse buys(I am a man after all). I also try to get VIP tickets for the whole weekend, these allow you to get in an hour or so earlier than the general public. That way if you do see something you just can't do without, you have the first shot at getting it. Lastly, a lot of breeders will be willing to cut a deal on Sunday afternoons, because they don't want to haul all of the extra animals/equipment back home. This is a hit or miss thing as sometimes the breeders want to hold off on making deals until just before the show closes. This is just what I have found throughout my experiences at reptile shows. Hope it helps.

3. David McConley

Oops, forgot to add, take LOTS of pictures to post when you come home.

4. kiraturmc

kiraturmc Elite Member

Thanks David!! I got the VIP tickets, but I know we can't get there until Saturday afternoon as my boys both have soccer games. I was planning on going up Saturday just to "peruse" and then go Sunday to "get" whomever decides they need to live with us.;)

I have a friend in NC with two beardies and he got them at a show on Sunday for $30 - for both. So, I had the idea that Sunday is the day to deal.

I'll take lots of pics and I promise I'll post! Thanks again!!

5. Dragoness

Dragoness Elite Member

Leave the checkbook at home, or you'll come home with a zoo.

6. David McConley

Dragoness, I don't have that problem. I'm married- I let her keep the checkbook.

7. Dragoness

Dragoness Elite Member

I'll always find a way to get more herps, Unless I leave all debit/credit cards, checkbook and cash at home, it's hopeless.

8. schlegelbagel

schlegelbagel Frog Lover Premium Member

I got rid of all by one of my spare 10 gallon tanks. That solved THAT problem. No place to put a newbie until something can be built!

9. David McConley

That doesn't help either because I'll just say well I want this but I'll have to but an enclosure for it so I need lights, thermometer,thermostat, a book for proper husbandry and anything else. Cheaper to just have the extra tanks at home with a few extra lights like I have now.

10. Merlin

Merlin Administrator Staff Member Premium Member

However if you see something that you just absolutely have to have.
    Don't wait!
    It may not be there when you come back!

11. LovetheBaruu

LovetheBaruu Subscribed User Premium Member

Trust your instincts about the dealer too! I will not buy from someone who is giving mis-information (you can listen to them talking to other potential buyers while you mosey through their selection), has too many animals per container (and sometimes their booth just smells weird), or is doing any of the other obvious no-nos (wrong substrate). I would also recommend not choosing a new pet because it is needy - that is so challenging! I wish we could all go with you! It is fun!

12. Gagnes mommy

Gagnes mommy Active Member

I found it was great to get supplies like I believe Merlin said, at low cost, lamps, bulbs etc. I did get my snake from one. Does anyone know why there hasn't been a reptile expo in Philly the last few years?

13. wgnelson

wgnelson Elite Member

Unfortunately, I made that mistake with the first two wives, NEVER AGAIN!!!;)

14. David McConley

Hey Bill, hopefully I won't have that problem- we've been together for almost 22 years. I know that doesn't always mean anything, but to my knowledge we are happy together.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.