This Disappears When Logged In

First Burm Bite..

Discussion in 'Burmese Pythons' started by ughjames, Jul 26, 2012.

1. ughjames

ughjames Member

My fault. Mistook my hand for food.
    br.jpg

On a seprate note- She is 6 weeks old and REFUSING f/t. I have tried EVERY single trick/tip/method under the sun and she wont convert. Its almost as if she is intimidated by them. I spoke with the breeder and he said they generally WILL refuse f/t until a few months old. However, I do not want to wait that long and attempt to switch. Anyone have any suggestions for me? Its my only snake that wont eat f/t from day one.

2. CentriRitanni

CentriRitanni Elite Member

3. mele

mele Elite Member

Was she feeding on her own with the breeder?
    How many attempts have you made with f/t?
    What size is the prey?
    What a tricks have you tried?

4. Merlin

Merlin Administrator Staff Member Premium Member

How long have you had the snake and how are you housing it?

5. ughjames

ughjames Member

She was 5 weeks old when I got her. Had her first shed and had not eaten yet.

I have had her for a month, so she is approx 9 weeks now.Sorry for the typo on her age, I was on my way out the door.

I left her alone for 12 days before I tried to feed/handle. She is housed in a 55 right now (until she is larger and ready for her other enclosure), appropriate temps/humidity and has several hides (filled with paper towels to make her feel more secure). She is handled once per day every other day after her 12 day leave alone period to let her adjust to her new home.

I have tried to offer frozen thawed. Scent the feeder, freshly killed methods. She refuses all. She is over a foot already and I have offered hoppers, nicely sized rat pups (appropriate to her body size in girth (yet nothing too large)). I try once per week.

Sorry for the typo on her age, I was on my way out the door.

6. mshrmheadcharge

mshrmheadcharge Moderator Staff Member Premium Member

What are her temps and humidity?

7. ughjames

ughjames Member

84 cool side, 89-90 basking. 64% humidity and 75-76 at night.

8. mele

mele Elite Member

I would hold off on the daily handling until you get her to accept a meal. Is the breeder aware of the refusal of food? How is her body condition? You may have to contact the breeder and ask for help with an assist feeding. Usualy they hold on to babies until they know for sure they have fed a few times. The only other thing I can think of is making sure the f/t is warm and try splitting the skull and leaving it overnight.

I wish you both luck on your next attempt.

9. ughjames

ughjames Member

The breeder is aware she wont eat f/t. He said to feed her live until she is a few months old and ready for the switch.

10. gapeachkatie

gapeachkatie Elite Member

I think the breeder should of held onto the baby until he could prove it would feed. Sure, it is easy to just try to feed live prey until the snake is older, but that may just make the switch even more difficult.

Try heating up the prey item with a blow dryer until it is hot to the touch, then leave it in the tank for a while/over night. If it is still there in the morning, just keep trying. I have read somewhere that burms can be picky about F/T due to the temp of the prey item.

11. ughjames

ughjames Member

I have used the blow dryer and leave over night method. Both in the enclosure and in a box. Denies both. I know she's healthy and eating well, I was just hoping for f/t. I appreciate everyones help.

12. ughjames

ughjames Member

Also, body is in amazing condition. She has been to a vet and checkes for parasites (friend is a vet). She is growing, active ect. This f/t just has me aggravated and stressed.

13. skelly98

skelly98 Elite Member

try wiggling it with tongs. it got my ball python to swich :)

14. ughjames

ughjames Member

Tong/wiggle hasn't worked. Tried that as well. Attempted for 45 minutes each time

15. skelly98

skelly98 Elite Member

i have heard "breaking", wich is basically when you offer only frozen/thawed, and apparently most of the time it works after a couple of months. i have never done this, though, so i'm going to wait for the others to chime in on this one :)

16. Merlin

Merlin Administrator Staff Member Premium Member

I would suggest leaving her alone for 2 weeks, no handling or mucking about in the cage unless necessary for water changes cleaning etc.
    Then in the evening try the F/T after it is good and warm.

17. CentriRitanni

CentriRitanni Elite Member

Squish the f/t's head until juices come out as well.