This Disappears When Logged In

First Breeding

Discussion in 'Boas *General*' started by akbaby907, May 30, 2014.

1. akbaby907

akbaby907 Active Member

I have a normal Central American female and I'm wanting to breed her when she's older. I have a few questions that I can't seem to find the answers on my own.

1. Are the morphs from this site ( Genetics | Red Tail Boa Breeder ) applicable to her type? Are they the basic morphs for BCI in general, or other types?
    2. Because she's normal, how would I go about producing babies with visual morphs? Will it take a few generations after her, a specific morph mate, etc.?
    3. I like albino, anery, sunglow, ghost, snow, and aztec. What kind of mate would I need to start out with to produce any of these?

I have very little understanding of genetics so far, I am reading up on the subject as I have a few years before my girl is old enough to breed. The page I mentioned above is about as much as I know, the forum posts here that I've found I can't seem to decode. Does anybody have any kind of beginner guide to this kind of stuff?

2. MrsSmith88

MrsSmith88 Member

Wow genetics are a huge long crazy conversation. You would have to breed her to a morph with a dominant gene like, hypo, albino, motley, etc. to get babies with visual morphs. Half would be normal or "wild" type. If you bred her to a super hypo (boa whose both parents were hypos) all your babies would be hypos. If you bred to a hypo motley you would get half hypos and half motleys. It goes on and on. Keep researching the different morphs and take your time. A cool website that allows you to enter the genetics of 2 snakes is owalreptiles.com/genetics.php make sure you chose boa on the top left as they have one for ball pythons also. Good luck. I just bred a hypo female and got 16 beautiful babies from her on Memorial Day. Best of luck and keep asking questions. Maybe more specific ones though. I barely even scratched the surface of a genetics conversation lol.

3. akbaby907

akbaby907 Active Member

Oh boy, I thought I had been pretty specific lol oh well, lots to learn.
    From what I've gathered, it seems that there's two types of morphs, being color (ex. anery, hypo, albino) and saddle/stripe patterns (ex. jungle, aztec, motley). Is that correct?

4. MrsSmith88

MrsSmith88 Member

Hmmmm well jungles don't always have those crazy saddles. It's about a split body (top from bottom) color as well. I'm having a tough time with those myself. I don't have any nor have I had the opportunity to spend time with lots of them. Right now I'm working with hypos, motleys, sharp albinos, ghost. I have big genetic plans in the next few years. =)

5. MrsSmith88

MrsSmith88 Member

But yes sort of kind of, to your question. But a boa can have several of both. Like a ghost is anery x hypo. Beautifull by the way. So then you can have this mix of "color" and stick motley or jungle in there too. I've found using the genetics calculator that things didn't always come out the way I thought they would. Then there's Mother Natures odds game and you may not end up with all the possibilities that should have come out of a specific pairing... =)

6. akbaby907

akbaby907 Active Member

I'm not too big on getting into the different saddles/stripes/patterns/whatever's going on, color is mostly what I'm attracted to. As of now, my other half is leaning more towards anery types so that's probably what we'll breed to my normal. Since this will be the first time I'll attempt a breeding, I don't wanna get too far into the genetics just in case I may end up hating the breeding game.

7. EriksExotics

EriksExotics Elite Member

I'm starting with all non visual babies. First litter will be circlebacks and normals het for Kahl and next year I'm aiming for Normals het for Lovell coral albinos and hypos het lovell coral. My only up coming visual breeding is just going to be a pastel dream to a normal

8. akbaby907

akbaby907 Active Member

I'm still not sure where to start and only a bit of my previous questions were answered. Thanks for your replies though! Any information is better than none. :)

9. EriksExotics

If there's anything else you have questions about, please ask away

10. EriksExotics

Btw breeding an Anery to your normal will create Normal het Anery boas so the babies would be non visual.

11. akbaby907

akbaby907 Active Member

Well there's the questions I listed in the original post, I understand that genetics is a very broad subject but aren't there any clear concise answers to those? Or do most people just guesstimate and throw a pair together and hope for the best? :p Kidding lol
    Also how is one positive on a morph? Is it done through genetic testing or just what you can see by eye and know from parents the lineage?

12. EriksExotics

It's all about how each gene intereacts with each other. Start learning about dominant, co dominant and recessive genes and you can use a genetic calculator to help you while you're learning.

OWALReptiles - Boa Calculator

13. akbaby907

akbaby907 Active Member

Hmm apparently some of my posts haven't been going through on here, then show up intermittently. I understand now about producing visual morphs, and I'm assuming any recessive gene would be het like Erik mentioned above on breeding with anery. So het would mean a non-visual trait, but how do you turn a recessive trait into visual?

14. MrsSmith88

MrsSmith88 Member

Breed back a het baby to the visual parent or breed 2 het babies of the litter

15. EriksExotics

The cool thing with recessive genes is exactly what MrsSmith88 said. If you breed a Het to a Visual or a Het to a Het or even a Visual to a visual, you'll produce all visual babies.

so Sharp Albino x Het Sharp Albino = Sharp Albino babies. Het Sharp x Het Sharp = Sharp Albino babies, etc!

16. EriksExotics

If I were you, I'd go with something like a Motley Hypo or Albino Motley Hypo. Normal x Motley Hypo would make hypo babies and motley babies in the same litter and you'd have no normal babies.

Same with Albino Motley Hypo x Normal but the babies would be Hypo 50% Het Albino and Motley 50% Het Albino

17. MrsSmith88

MrsSmith88 Member

This season im breeding a hypo motley (from Jeremy Stone) to a Salmon female I have. Ought to be good fun in the goo pile. Waiting for my ghost to reach breeding age then I'm going for the "gold" lol