This Disappears When Logged In

Fire Hazards

Discussion in 'Heating' started by Microscope Jockey, Nov 10, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Microscope Jockey

Microscope Jockey Elite Member

Ok my radiant heat panels for Boyd the boa constrictor's large wooden enclosure just arrived and I have 2 problems I need advice on:

1.) I have a smaller radiant heat panel around here somewhere so I know they get quiet hot plus it says right on the panels: DO NOT COVER! Boyd's substrate is newspaper since I feed him in-cage (and no feeding him elsewhere is not an option, he's too big) and sometimes he burrows in the newspaper and kicks it up and I'm afraid he'll get it on the panels and start a fire. What should I do about that? Maybe stick a few large rocks or something in there to hold the newspaper down?

2.) His hide is a giagantic carboard box, which he also tends to move, and I don't want that pushed up against the panels either. Suggestions?

2. Mark

Mark Elite Member

Now I understand what you are trying to use.

How about the simple route -- mount the panel as directed and construct a hardware mesh cage around the panel, something like what many of us put over CHEs and heat lamps. Allows proper air flow yet keeps things off it.

3. Microscope Jockey

Microscope Jockey Elite Member

Clarification folks: radiant heat panels are for wall or ceiling mount. I'm going to put them on the back wall of the cage hopefully.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.