This Disappears When Logged In

Fire Belly Toads!

Discussion in 'Amphibian - General' started by rosepetalbed, Aug 22, 2009.

1. rosepetalbed

rosepetalbed Member

I took in some fire belly toads/frogs from a friend who was moving out of state! I believe their conditions could be better and I was wondering if anyone has suggestions? Thanks!! :p

102_2422.jpg

102_2431.jpg

Attached Files:

2. schlegelbagel

schlegelbagel Frog Lover Premium Member

First, they need more water. They are semi-aquatic. Look into a large baking dish or even a really small cat pan. You could even go all water with some really big rocks to make up land, as long as you have a filter to go with it. The water should be anywhere from 2" deep to 6" deep with resting areas.

That cricket looks a little on the large side. The food items should be no bigger than the space between their eyes.

3. rosepetalbed

rosepetalbed Member

Thanks for the advice schlegal!!! I thought going half water half water would be neat but how would the crickets survive? I figured they would drown before they were eaten!

I bought some gravel but then read that its bad for them....I have gravel in my Albino Clawed Frog tank and they never swallowed or eaten the gravel....:confused: Going to return it for some more Eco-earth!

But while I was at the pet store I checked and they had nothing to make a divider with!! The had additional levels for turtles and Fish but nothing for frogs....I am going back there today!! I am determined to make them a nice set up!!! ;)

Also I read you should fill the crickets up with nutrient, but it didn't specify what? Is that a necessity?

4. schlegelbagel

All you need for a divider, is some aquarium silicone and piece of plexiglass. Plexiglass can be found at Lowes or other major "box" hardware stores. If you go in with the size you want, they will cut it for you, no charge.

Yes, gravel is bad for them, if its small enough to be swallowed, not to mention these guys are dirty little things, so its hard to clean. Eco-earth really is the best way.

Filling the crickets is called gut loading, and yes, its important. What goes into your cricket goes into the toad. Pet stores don't usually gut load on anything but water and maybe a slice of potato. Stick in a piece of carrot, collard green... any sort of veggie, to pass that nutrients along to your toads.

Be sure if you don't have already, calcium supplementation. They will need their crickets "dusted" once a week. To dust, simply put a little calcium dust into a ziplock bag, add crickets, gently shake to coat them. I like Repcal brand. Its in a pink jar.

PinkCal.jpg

Attached Files:

5. rosepetalbed

rosepetalbed Member

Thanks for all the advice I trully appreciate it!!!I updated the tank and need to let it run for a few days as I used tap water!!!

102_2530.jpg

102_2531.jpg

102_2533.jpg

Attached Files:

6. Merlin

Merlin Administrator Staff Member Premium Member

Better check with your water dept! If you get your water from surface reservoirs, they probaby treat it with chloramines and THAT won't evaporate! It requires a dechlorinator chemical.
    Or you could just play it safe and use the dehlorinator.

7. Orca

Orca Elite Member

I agree with Merlin, always use a water conditioner just in case. And I didn't know that chloramines didn't evaporate - I have a well but they use that for city water around here.

The set up looks amazing now though! The little guys will be very happy :)

8. Merlin

Merlin Administrator Staff Member Premium Member

I used to keep fish and they switched to cholamines here back in the 80's,...
    WITHOUT TELLING ANYONE!
    Aquarists and pond keepers lost thousands of fish!
    The chlorine just evaporated in 24 hours.
    Chloramines are chlorine mixed with ammonia gas to stabilize it.
    17 days after it was drawn it was still the same strength as when it came out of the tap.

9. Frognut

Frognut Subscribed User Premium Member

ACK! I just changed my firebelly toads water with tap water that I left standing for a week to remove the chlorine!! (at work they have city water at home I have well water).

I'll be getting the dechlorinator chemical -- will that be something I can find in the pet store? Will I harm my toads with one water change if it does have this other stuff instead of just chlorine? (I do run a filter - don't know if that makes a difference!)

Yikes, the things we learn AFTER the fact --- Thanks for that info Merlin, I appreciate it - now I'll go fix it.)

10. Orca

Orca Elite Member

I'd use AmQuel as water conditioner. It removes ammonia, chlorine, and chloramines. I used it in the lab at college all the time. It smells something foul but works great.

11. schlegelbagel

Steph, just go to the fish section of the pet store and pick up a bottle of dechlorinator. Use as directed on the bottle.

12. Frognut

Frognut Subscribed User Premium Member

K - thanks. I wasn't over-reacting... really!!!!:rolleyes:

13. rosepetalbed

rosepetalbed Member

Thanks once again for the advice!!! I had to purchase crickets again and grabbed some conditioner! I haven't officially moved them in yet as concerned about the cover issue....I have a glass cover with but have a hose for the filter and heater so its not tight? I think with the humidity from the filter makes the glass to slippery for them to climb out but want to be sure lol Also though about having a moss pit they have corner caddies at Walmart with suction cups that I could use and maybe fill with moss? These babies will be spoiled in any event, my husband is already complaining these "free fire belly toads" have cost us how much???

:X I plead the fifth!!!

14. eos

eos Well-Known Member

Big improvement from the first setup... nice job!

15. schlegelbagel

What I did for the lid, is ran the cords up to the top corner and bent the corner of the lid (it was metal) to make room for the cords. This allowed the lid to shut well, and there wasn't any room for them to slip out. If you are concerned after that, just put a brick on the lid to keep it down.

Stay away from any moss that is not "pillow" moss. The long stringy kid can kill them if accidentally eaten.