This Disappears When Logged In

Fire Belly Habitat Research

Discussion in 'HH General Discussion' started by Rich, Feb 2, 2010.

1. Rich

Rich Administrator Staff Member Premium Member

I can assure you I am aware of his doings. lol I am not concerned about tadpoles as I have fish to ensure they don't last longer than a few days. (muahahahahaha)

2. Merlin

Merlin Administrator Staff Member Premium Member

If the toads are toxic would the tadpoles not be as well?

3. Rich

I doubt the tads would have developed those glands yet, that is a charecteristic of the toad. (I could be mistaken.) If fish start knocking off after they begin eating tads, we will know for sure.

4. Frognut

Frognut Subscribed User Premium Member

LOL! Just let us know, so we can plan accordingly... after you do all this great research, it will be nice to know what I can and can't do with FBT's and adding fish to their tank! Keep up the good work! :D

5. Rich

It's all in the name of science! lol

6. hollyelese

hollyelese Member

Rich, about the wood you used as supports under the plexi island, did you get a special kind? I saw your remark about shopping at michaels, and are we not worried about the wood molding or rotting under there?
    Could someone clue me in? I think your project is amazing by the way and might start working on my own this weekend --

7. Rich

The wood was completely submereged under the water, so it couldn't technically mold. Over time it could have broken down I suppose, but that would have taken years beyond mine for that to happen. lol

I redid the entire project to improve upon the design. I haven't gotten around to writing it all but here is a link to what the new version looks like.

Fire-bellied Toad Habitat Construction II

You will notice that there isn't any wood beneath it. I instead used glass blocks that are used for tiling.

8. hollyelese

hollyelese Member

I took the time last weekend to create a beginning to my own island project for my fire belly toads. I used river rocks, plexiglass cut into a simple rectangle, and for supports, used PVC pipes cut into 4" long pieces. I am going to drill holes into the tops of the PVC pipes underneath the island so that they will fill with water and not let air get trapped. I think I am going to add some more rocks and maybe some plastic plants to the island before I add it to the tank. I'm still mulling. So far, it looks ok, though.
    Have we decided that there is another sealant we could perhaps paint on, instead of using the silicon-like stuff? I had to throw away the tube because it had cracked with a lot of the material seeping out. I had not even used half the tube. I'm looking for another non-toxic sealant maybe we could use. I was not impressed with the tube material you have to squeeze out.

9. Pollywog

Pollywog Member

Rich, is your habitat still going strong? I created my habitat 3 weeks ago. Let it run a few days, put my 2 toads in. After the tank ran for a week, I added 3 Danio and 4 ghost shrimp....the danio swiftly ate a ghost shrimp. I added 4 feeder guppies last weekend. For my land I used the cliff with built in filter(I think repti makes it) and a floating ledge. I added a second filter, which is the repti waterfall(cant remember what model). everyone seems to be doing well so far. Still fiddling trying to get everything just right. The water was cloudy and I was having to clean the filter often which is why I added the second. I am trying to find some live plants to add. I love love love watching the toads and fish :). Reading through all of the forums makes me want frogs of every kind! :p maybe someday.

Thanks!

10. Rich

Oh yes, the tank is still going strong though the fish didn't make it. I blame the fish dying on me though. I was cleaning the tank and we ended up taking out too much water. All of the "good" bacteria was lost and we now have to start the fish over again. I knew better but wasn't paying attention. The toads are thriving.