This Disappears When Logged In

Fire Belly Habitat Research

Discussion in 'HH General Discussion' started by Rich, Feb 2, 2010.

1. Merlin

Merlin Administrator Staff Member Premium Member

Chinese algae eaters get considerably larger than 2 inches! More like 4-6 inches and as adults can be a bit nasty eating less algae and attacking the other fish.
    Are you perhaps looking at otocinclus catfish? They are a mild mannered algae eater and stay small.

2. schlegelbagel

schlegelbagel Frog Lover Premium Member

We have chinese algae eaters and IMO they do a much better job than any other out there. But merlin is right, they can be a bit testy.

And I have that syphon. love it!

3. Rich

Rich Administrator Staff Member Premium Member

The otocinclus is what I was talking about. They are sold/listed as "chinese algae eaters" here. The latin name had otocinclus in it though.

They are only suppose to grow to 2 inches from what I had read when I looked them up under their latin name.

4. Merlin

Yes Ottos are a neat little fish. Very unaggressive and stay small.
    Chinese algae eaters are another fish entirely.

5. Rich

We were at Petco last night for crickets and I brought up the title issue with the ottos. He said he would look it up and correct it if needed. I will follow up when I go back over the weekend.

6. Frognut

Frognut Subscribed User Premium Member

How's it going, Rich? Do you have fish and toads together yet? Does it seem to be working?

....inquiring minds want to know... ;)

7. Rich

I have 2 Ottos, 8 Zebra Danios, and 4 Harlequin Rasboras residing in the same tank as 3 fire-bellies. I have had no issues now for the past few weeks. If everyone is doing well in 3 months, then I will be able to say it works.

I had 5 Harlequins but lost one. He wasn't faring too well and swam into the really shallow water and found himself in the mouth of one of the toads. lol

I did a complete redesign on the tank. I used aquarium silicone on everything and made a larger land area.

On the right side of the image I will attach there is a section of land that is underwater. It is only 3/8 - 1/2" deep and the toads love it.

I have to write up how I did this one also. The same principles apply as the other one. It just looks different and has a few different features. There is also a live plant in the tank in the center.

Attached Files:

8. Merlin

Just be aware of what is known as "New Tank syndrome". Approx 6 weeks after the addition of fish to a new tank the ammonia and nitrites will spike as the nitrifying bacteria have yet to become established and die off often occurs.

9. Rich

I am expecting that Merlin. I actually expect the Danios to survive it and have my fingers crossed for the Otocs. I don't see the Rasboras faring through the storm. We grabbed them because they were on sale.

The danios have been with us now for 4 weeks or so. They are some very hardy fish.

10. Frognut

How to you handle this? Is it something that can be dealt with beforehand so the fish don't die? Will it effect the toads?

I've never kept fish before (except for the occasional carnival gold fish :rolleyes:) Oh, and the feeder fish that I used to feed the toads!

Rich, can you post a close-up of the addition on the right hand side? I can't see it in the photo you posted.

11. Rich

The nitrate and ammonia issue is the tank cycling. It is normal.

I will get the pictures up this weekend and will link them in this thread.

12. Merlin

You can generally avoid it if you have another functioning aquarium that you can take gravel from to seed the nitrifying bacteria into the new tank.
    Other wise you just have to ride it out.

13. Frognut

What's the update? Are the fish still alive?? How is it going?

(Curiosity may have killed the cat, but thank goodness it has 9 lives;))

14. Rich

Everyone is alive and doing well, minus a catfish. I think the catfish died as a result of the tank being new. beyond him, everyone is thriving. I actually bought 2 more live plants to put in the tank.

15. Frognut

Cool! I'm glad it's working out! Once I get all my critters rearranged and have another empty tank, I want to get some more FBT's -- they were so awesome.

And now that I can add fish, that would be fantastic!

Thanks, Rich

16. LovetheBaruu

LovetheBaruu Subscribed User Premium Member

This is such a cool project! I am not sure how I missed out on this thread but that island is wicked!

17. Rich

Thanks Kelly. We actually have a completely new one that is MUCH better in design. I need to get that one posted. It's nice to have the fish and the toads co-habitating like they are.
    I am taking it that the frogs also like this setup because the male has started calling and wrestling with the 2 females. lol

18. Frognut

Um.... better start on the second tank --- you're going to be having toad eggs soon (trust me on this one.. :p)

19. LovetheBaruu

LovetheBaruu Subscribed User Premium Member

Pssst, Stephanie, do you think someone (you) should tell him they aren't wrestling?

20. Frognut

Nah! I want to witness the surprise when little baby tadpoles emerge in the tank --- it will be fun. SHHHHHH!