This Disappears When Logged In

Fine Sand

Discussion in 'Substrates/Bedding/Flooring' started by MoogleBass, Feb 22, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. MoogleBass

MoogleBass Kittes are so nice! Premium Member

Oh no, he said....SAND. :eek: *runs at the horror*

Anyway, I need to find some Fine sand. I have play sand and it sucks, its not really fine as how the bag says. I know theres sand for the aqurimn thats all white an says extra fine. I dont want to use calci sand, but do one of the companys have just a plan jane colored sand - the calci crap? The sand if for my viper geckos if that helps.

2. kriminaal

kriminaal HH Block Leader Staff Member Premium Member

I've never used it, but Exo Terra has a natural sifted sand that looks pretty fine. It comes in yellow, red and black.

3. MoogleBass

Ill check it out. Thanks.

4. venus

venus Founding Member

It would be cheaper to just use a rolling pin on playsand :p

5. Moshpitrockchick

Moshpitrockchick Subscribed User Premium Member

I was thinking a blender...

6. MoogleBass

Thats work lol, and mom wont let me use her blender for that lol

7. Merlin

Merlin Administrator Staff Member Premium Member

Then try a hammer?

8. KrokadilyanGuy3

KrokadilyanGuy3 Elite Member

Just hit up a marine pet store or perhaps some plain jane fish store; stay away from silica.

9. Moshpitrockchick

Moshpitrockchick Subscribed User Premium Member

Yours and mine both...i'm only allowed to put things ion the blender that I would be willing to eat...I don't want to push her and end up eating a mouthful of sand or ground mouse...

10. MoogleBass

lol, ground mouse and bbq sounds yummy lol Ill look into that Zane, thanks for the pointers.

11. MRHickey

MRHickey Elite Member

This might sound stupid... but could you actually break up sand to a smaller grain using a rolling pin or blender. I never tried it, and was curious if you were actually serious or if you were kidding. I would think that would be difficult, as well as a sure fire way to kill a blender.

12. venus

venus Founding Member

I believe we were kidding ;)

13. Merlin

I HOPE they were kidding!
    Sand is basicly small rocks. It would do a serious number on any blender or bladed blender. It would take a mill type process to make it finer.
    A very BIG mill!

14. MoogleBass

Yeah i tried the blender....it broke...and tore up the inside bad lol......

Ok, so not really, Ill have to look into what Zane said and someone else about exo terra sand.

15. MRHickey

MRHickey Elite Member

okay, so I can redeem myself from not being a total idiot. I understand that sand is small rocks, I have never actually seen like calci-sand and things like that I wasn't sure if you could break it up.

I should hope you wouldn't put sand in a blender or just beat it. I know you can break down carbonate sand (pink sand, reef sand), we do it all the time in the lab, and I know that most sand is actually VERY hard little rocks.

I have a degree guys, in science no less, I'm not as stupid as that question made me sound, although I do have my moments, it was a long day at work.

16. JMM

JMM Elite Member

Would sand for marine tanks (like oolite sand) be suitable for what you need ?
    You would be able to find it as small as 0.2-0.5 millimeter

17. KrokadilyanGuy3

Oolite is pretty decent stuff to use. It's a round, meadium type sand which hardly clumps (Certain circumstances causes this) and kinda looks neat. This is one of the sands I was referring to in the Marine stores. Just go for the larger sizes if possible. I am using this stuff.

Just remember to watch out for Silica. If you see any bags making mention of Quartz, stay clear of that. (One in the same.)

EDIT: Some play sand is also Oolite sands, so read the lables because some is also made from Quartz(Silica). Just another option for you.

18. Merlin

Just out of curiosity what is it about the quartz that makes it so bad?

19. KrokadilyanGuy3

Part of Quartz is silica. Most sands are full of crystalline silica dust which can lead to illnesses like silicosis. Silica is basically glass, and breathing in the dust from the height your animals will be present to it will really be unpleasant.

It can also be considered as a sort of crystal.

Silica just isn't fun. I guess there's a limited amount in play sand, but with the height and size comparison, of us versus them, they will still possibly get a healthy dose of dust in their lungs. Plus all of it's varities, IIRC, are a sharp sand base. Clumping can be easily done as well with certain varities.

20. MoogleBass

Ok I know this an old thread.

Ive looked at the
    Zoo Med Repti Sand- Pure, very fine quartz desert sand is the ideal substrate for a variety of desert dwelling reptiles including Bearded Dragons, Leopard Geckos, Sand Boas and more. Stimulates natural digging and burrowing behavior; also an excellent egg-laying medium for many reptiles.

Exo Terras- • Natural desert sand, no added dyes or chemicals
    • Creates a natural and attractive desert environment
    • Excellent heat conductor
    • Stimulates natural digging and burrowing behavior
    • Suitable as egg-laying substrate

Exo Terra's TerrariumSand is natural desert sand with no added dyes or chemicals. The sand has been sifted to remove impurities and to obtain a homogenous sand grain size.

Substrates in natural terrariums have many functions and are not only there for decoration purposes.
    They play a very important role in the determination of the terrarium's micro climate. Digging and burrowing reptiles have different needs than tree dwelling species, whereas desert animals prefer yet another type of substrate.

Im not sure what to use. Ill be going to a pet shop tmr so Ill see what they have. Hope some one lets me know sooon. Which would be the best

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.