This Disappears When Logged In

Fine!!!! I Will Get One...

Discussion in 'Snakes - General' started by Thalatte, Feb 17, 2013.

1. Thalatte

Thalatte Elite Member

So in about four months (after I change jobs) I am going to get a snake. I have two very different breeds in mind: green tree python and corn snake. I don't want a rescue snake as my first snake as I want to make sure they are healthy from the get go (rescues will come after I am comfortable with them).

I love the looks of green tree pythons but am hesitant to get one as I haven't really handled snakes much so getting one known for being snippy as adults is kinda worrying. Are they really that bad? Could he live in a 36x18x36 his whole life? As an adult snake what is the size of food item they need to eat (I don't want to feed bunnies)? Do they have a tendency to go off food?

Now cornsnakes: not much I need to know as I have read posts and care sheets but I thought I would verify some things: a 55gal is a good size right? Though he will probably end up in a 4x2x2 set up. Color morphs (this is going to sound vain but oh we'll) I really like the palmetto but at $4000 I don't think I can afford it so next I really like white, red, silver, and blue so what are the prettiest morphs in those colors...I was thinking maybe a pewter but any others that are visually striking?

Now I am off to read the green tree python care sheets.

2. Pharoahound

Pharoahound Elite Member

I think for a FIRST snake is go with a corn. In my opinion Greens arent a beginner. Just because of the size and I've heard stories about them going off food and being a pain. Though Joey has said a lot of good things about them including their low matenince after everything is set up. Also there's a big price rang difference. Also I'm pretty sure rats are fine for adult boas.

55 is fine for a corn most end up in 20gl's. I fine the orangy's really apealing. The creamcicle-which is a hybrid, butters, caramels and amels are really gorgeous and I'd look into those!

Whatever you choose congrats and I'll be hounding you in a few months for pictures.

3. Ultima78

Ultima78 Elite Member

I never thought this day would come......now I will see you at the Snake threads!

4. Renouji

Renouji Elite Member

Personally my favorite corn morphs are the avalanche, blizzard. Snow and the strawberry snow. A snow corn was my first snake, sadly he passed away last year and now I have 2 ball pythons. I don't think ill ever get another corn. They are so fast and skinny I was afraid of losing him forever every time I took him out of his tank. I don't have that fear with my balls, they prefer to climb all over me as opposed to the floor exact opposite that Yuki was xD

5. Wyldrose

Wyldrose Elite Member

I agree the snow corn is one of my favs. They may look boring and white in the pictures, but they have shades of green, yellow, pinks and orange on the. Very pretty!

I want a Palmetto but the $4k plus about $1k to import is a little much :) one day!
    If you want something simular look for one of these:
    Paradox Snow Corn Snake - Ians Vivarium Reptile Forum
    Ruby Freckled Corn Snake - Ians Vivarium Reptile Forum
    It's unknown how they are created but do pop up all the time :)
    I would check out Kathy Love's website( Corn Snakes 4 ) she is the true queen of corns and if I could I would order from her ;)

GTP are beautiful animals, I like the temperment of corns and the ease of care :)

Last edited: Feb 18, 2013
  6. Ultima78

Ultima78 Elite Member

Congratulations!

7. skelly98

skelly98 Elite Member

Well, you are a very experienced keeper, so it's up to you. I would go for the corn, less work, but if you want a green tree, your choice. Also, might i recommend a hognose? Very nice snakes :)

8. Thalatte

Thalatte Elite Member

Ok I will keep Kathy in mind and bookmark her site.
    So far the blizzard is my second favorite corn snake.
    Anyone try breeding a blizzard to a freckled snow? Seems those characteristics are the best chance of getting a palmetto

9. Wyldrose

Wyldrose Elite Member

The freckled and paradox are just a random mutation(some say they are chimera's, 2 snakes in one body) that pop's up, it's not genetic and can't be breed for. My snow corn has 1 tiny red dot, so he is a freckled, just a very very low expression one lol! I bred him to my amel, so I hope she carries anery and that I get some freckles.
    Of course I also wish for a 2 headed hatchling who will be a good eater lol!

We can have our dreams right :)

10. Thalatte

Thalatte Elite Member

So you can't breed two freckles to get more freckles?

Have you gotten two headed hatchlings before?

11. Wyldrose

Wyldrose Elite Member

No one knows 100% what makes the freckles, it's not a simple recessive trait. It's more of a random mutation.
    No 2 headed yet :) My ghost girl's sisters where 2 headed. You should be able to find a video of them on youtube, search Lucky Destiny. Triple R corns hatched her and sold her to a collecter in the USA.

12. Thalatte

Thalatte Elite Member

Oh. Well random mutations are fun if aggravating when your trying for a specific look.

So do I have to keep a hatchling in a smaller enclosure?

13. JoeyG

JoeyG Subscribed User Premium Member

welcome to the club! :) I agree with Tyler, if you've not handled snakes much a chondro will make you pay for it. Very touchy when young and you need to be able to read them well. Also can't pull away if bitten, very delicate because of being so small. I wont say don't get one because you could probably do okay doing the research but will be more work for you. If you're willing to spend serious money on a set up then they're low maintenance. Doing it any other way will cost you anyway and may have more issues in the long run. A tub will work and they're easy but you don't get to see it unless it's open.

Anyway welcome to our world ;)

14. Thalatte

Thalatte Elite Member

Yeah I think I will wait on the chondro then. For two reasons:
    1. I have had the worst luck at taming reptiles. My CWD and larger beardie barely tollerate my presence and my smaller beardie will alternate between tolerating people and attacking if someone even enters a room. The only reptiles that don't seem to mind being handled are the turtles and torts. Heck even the fire belly toads I can handle with out them hopping away. I don't get it. This last batch of rescues are just mean.
    2. I will be building custom cages to replace every single tank I currently have (I want the tanks to all much and right now my reptile room is just ugly) which will be expensive (and i dont have a quaranteed new job yet) but once that is done and I have had the corn for awhile I will look into getting a chondro. For the chondros cage I think I would want something fairly tall but wider and then plant it and make it look like a mini rainforest which I know will be very expensive. So first I will experiment on my cwds new cage!

I was thinking about just putting a chondro in my old CWD cage but thought that might be too tall. Joey what's the largest size prey item an adult chondro will eat?

15. JoeyG

JoeyG Subscribed User Premium Member

prey size varies on animal and on the owner's preference. A large female wont go past a medium rat and males small rats or large mice. They stay in the open but don't move around much. Males wonder around more but usually just to a favorite hunting spot and back by morning in their normal spot. I'd be more then happy to go over any question you might have :) As for space they'll use what ever you give them but their needs will be harder to meet in a larger enclosure.

16. Thalatte

Thalatte Elite Member

Oh that's not bad then. I will take you up on your offer after I do some more research on them.

17. Wyldrose

Wyldrose Elite Member

Your inbox is full Thala :)
    It's wonderful that your doing your homework before :)

18. Thalatte

Thalatte Elite Member

Yep. I Learned the hard way years ago after taking on cwds (a rescue just dropped off at my door, Ignorant teen that i was i thought it was an iguana, luckily a vet corrected me before it was too late) that now I do research first. Well at least within hours of being given a new animal.

I have also learned after joining herp center that I need to research the care of animals I thought I knew how to care for every couple of years as the caresheets and info on animals changes after years.

Thanks for the mail.
    Oh another question I have for you: if I was to get a blizzard do I have a high chance of getting a pure white or is it one of those things you just hope for?

19. Thalatte

Thalatte Elite Member

Oh I get what you said about the inbox now. I emptied it if you want to send the message now.

20. Wyldrose

Wyldrose Elite Member

I'll resend the pm :)

If you want one that will 100% be pure white look for a Whiteout, it's charcoal+ amel + diffused. Diffused have patterens as hatchlings but as they mature the pattern fades and you should end up with a solid yellow animal. With the Charcoal you should not get any yellow on the sides, anery seems to be the culprit for the yellow sides.