This Disappears When Logged In

Finally!!

Discussion in 'Rhacodactylus' started by Logan, Dec 12, 2014.

1. CrazySnakeLady

CrazySnakeLady Elite Member

Aw! Those eyes!

2. Logan

Logan Elite Member

Right! I have some branches in baking clean right now. And a couple more batches to go in after. Obviously not all baking tonight.. I get to get back up at 6 am.

However, I'm wondering what peoples take is on soil for substrate? I grabbed a 40 lb bag of the same top soil I use for Toothless. Its organic and all that. I would obviously dampen it and pack it down well too. I'm not sure I'm ready for Pebbles to be on it. She's so little.

Also someone on Gecko Nation on FB (I follow it just for pictures) basically said these guys shouldn't have a water feature because they're 'not the brightest and they'll drowned'???????

3. CrazySnakeLady

I use the ZooMed or Exoterra eco earth stuff, so I can't really help you with specifics, but a lot of people use organic soil. Make sure that they aren't eating it and that they're pooping. If you're worried, it's best to be cautious.

And yes, they can and will drown. I've noticed that when their little feet get super wet, they have a hard time sticking to things. Maybe it blocks the connection to surfaces. Keeping a shallow water bowl works good. But I've been looking into building a custom waterfall that's shallow and doesn't pound the water on them, so if you want a water feature, just keep that in mind :)

4. Logan

Logan Elite Member

Shallow dish is fine. The ones I have in there now are kind of deep, but don't have a lot of water in them. Pretty sure both of them could hop out. I'll probably wait on the substrate swap until I make sure everything is good to go with them. I still haven't seen Pebbles eat a bug. And she's barely noming on the CGD. I'm not sure if I was making it to thick, so I thinned it out a good amount tonight to see what she does.

I've also seen people making their own?

And, what's the big difference between Repashy and the other stuff? I have other stuff right now that came with them. I can't remember the brand name right now..

5. CrazySnakeLady

It's not unusual for new ones to not eat, like any other reptile. I had the same problem with one and she gained 30+ grams in a year and is huge now! If you're really worried, adding some organic honey may help.

You stated earlier that you have Pangea. Honestly, I don't think there are any significant differences or at least none that I can find. It really comes down to your and your gecko's opinions. Some love one and hate others. Repashy was having a problem with changing formulas, but have stopped since. I think more geckos tend to like Pangea over Repashy due to their fancy flavors. If Pangea is working fine when Pebbles gets more comfortable, I don't see a big reason to change.

6. Logan

Logan Elite Member

Well, she came down the first night or two and I saw her licking at it and chasing a bug. But I haven't spotted her down since then. I've noticed divits in the CGD dish, but they're small and I hadn't seen her down. Until just now. She was actually UNDER her paper towels except for her head. Possibly stalking a Dubia. I plan to swap the towel out tomorrow, so I'll get a good look at what's left in there for bugs. I mean, she's active. When I swap the dish for fresh, she'll hop onto me and come out and climb around. Temps stay anywhere between 72° and 75° depending on if the heat is kicked on our not.

7. CrazySnakeLady

That is so sweet! Thank you so much for the updates. I have one that comes running when he hears my voice :)

8. Logan

Logan Elite Member

We haven't hit THAT point yet, but she was tasting us earlier. Is it normal for the ends of their tails to be flat? Just the tip. BamBam doesn't have one to compare to.

9. CrazySnakeLady

Yes :)

image.jpg

You can see it on my only one with a tail haha

10. Logan

Logan Elite Member

Its hard to find pictures of any with tails. I never realized how common it is for them to drop them..

11. CrazySnakeLady

Yeah, a lot of nice pictures are breeders and they drop their tails from the stress of breeding. I didn't even know that they had tails until I really started researching! It is amazing to feel it grab.

12. Logan

Logan Elite Member

Mhmm. First time I held her she wrapped that little tail around my pinky. Idk whooo I prefer more. He's bigger and more active, but jumps a lot. And she's tiny and cute and walks a lot more.

Also, even with the ambient air temp where its at they feel cold to me. Normal? I'm used to CWD being the coldest. The others are all 'desert' animals.

13. CrazySnakeLady

Compared to the desert animals, they do feel cool. As long as your temps are good, they'll be fine :)

14. Logan

Logan Elite Member

Well, as far as I can tell she spent most of the night roaming. And was back at it shortly after we got home. She also pooped in her water dish. So, she's obviously eating.

15. arojas7112

arojas7112 Established Member

They look beautiful! People are generally concerned about impaction if you use soil, but if you feed them through tongs you can always make sure that they don't get any soil on their meals. When you feed them Pangea just put their food bowl elevated so they don't get as much soil on it when they walk through their food (mine always do that). As CrazySnakeLady mentioned, as they get older they tend to not eat many bugs but all of my crested geckos always go for crickets. Usually I throw in crickets and the cresties immediately go after them. You should check out Vita Bugs by Timberline. These are nutritionally enhanced crickets that have vitamins and calcium in the body of the cricket. From the research I've done regarding these crickets, they are much more beneficial than gut loading and sprinkling calcium on crickets. Check it out, I've tried them on some flying geckos I have and they seem to look and act very healthy.

16. Logan

Logan Elite Member

I don't use crickets at all. I made the switch over to Dubia over a year ago. Crickets just don't stay alive long enough for me. Plus, they reeealllly don't get big enough for my CWD. But, BamBam will totally eat off a spoon. Pretty sure Pebbles has been eating the roaches .. just not while being watched. Ha.

17. arojas7112

Dubia's are the way to go especially how beneficial they are to the overall health of reptiles. I still use crickets for cresties but these Vita Bugs seem to work wonders. Took years of experimenting but the results are phenomenal. Through tests of controlled groups, the species that consumed the vita bugs after a 90 day period had higher growth rates, looked healthier and had much more vibrant coloration. I think vita bugs are not just crickets but also various worm species if I'm not mistaken. Why I use crickets for my cresties is because they seem to really enjoy hunting an insect that jumps and moves at a very quick pace. My cresties get in attack mode with their dilated pupils and they love to chase the crickets around as both species jump. With dubias, I usually don't see them having the same reaction even though dubias are pretty fast once they feel threatened. Cool names by the way!

18. Logan

Logan Elite Member

BamBam goes nuts over them. Well, when he's hungry. And I did see Pebbles stalking one the first night, but didn't see her eat it.

I neeeeed to figure out how to make my own roach chow too. Ha.

19. arojas7112

Have you ever seen Repashy's Bug Burger? It has a gelatin texture and is very moist. Helps with humidity levels inside your dubia's enclosure and can act as a secondary water source due to its wet/moist texture. I usually give them that stuff and various leafy greens (Spring Mix). I've read that oranges can encourage breeding so I feed them oranges twice a week and they love the stuff. Once a week on separate days I give them apples, small amounts of banana and thinly chopped carrots. Just make sure these fruits or vegetables do not mold. This is what I do to make my dubia's healthy and once consumed to help hydrate my monitors and leopard geckos.

20. Logan

Logan Elite Member

I've been using greens and oranges mostly. I've never had a humidity issue. All of my roaches shed out with out any problems. And with the oranges, they're breeding pretty decently.

I dust their noms with calcium every so often too.