This Disappears When Logged In

Finally!!

Discussion in 'Rhacodactylus' started by Logan, Dec 12, 2014.

1. Logan

Logan Elite Member

I'M BRINGING HOME TWO CRESTIES AFTER WORK!

Excitement abounds, as you can see!!

2. SebastiansExotics

SebastiansExotics Elite Member

NICE!

where are you getting them? What morphs? male and female?

3. Logan

Logan Elite Member

No idea on gender or morphs. Someone on CL has them. Since one had a frog butt and we're fans of the 'reject' animals we had to get them. The bigger one was social on the car ride but would not come out for pics. The smaller one climbed right out onto my hand to warm up after the drive home. I snapped some pics of her and the 'enclosure' each one came with.

We decided on Pebbles and BamBam for names.

Needless to say we'll be using my CL score from last night (Twp 20gs and 3 10gs for $25) to hopefully get them all done over the weekend.

- - - Updated - - -

And of course... the pictures won't upload....

4. Logan

Logan Elite Member

Trying again...

Attached Files:

5. CrazySnakeLady

CrazySnakeLady Elite Member

Adorable! Even with all the stuck shed.

6. Logan

Logan Elite Member

Mhmm. Its all pretty soft and thin, so it shouldn't take much to clean her up.

7. SebastiansExotics

8. Logan

Logan Elite Member

Well, got them moved into 22.5g bins I had (because they're taller than to 20g tanks, which now have the leos in them). Currently on paper towel. Moved the branches they came with with them. Tomorrow we'll go out to get some real ones for them. And some dirt from Home Depot instead of the paper. I tossed a roach in with BamBam and he instantly snatched it up. So, we was either starving, or very comfortable. They've both been out wandering around a bit. Pebbles chased after a bug, but didn't eat it. I haven't seen either of them at their CGD (came with about a half bag of Pangea Watermelon & Mango). But, I just popped back in the bins to mist them and she jumped on me and wandered up my arm, and then didn't want to go back in.

Do cresties have a slightly 'high stepping' gait compared to leos? I can't really compare the two here because BamBam mostly hops. If he's walking its really slow, if not he's leaping around. Pebbles walks quick but looks like she picks her feet up high. Could just be because I'm not used to lizards with sticky feet.

ANYWAYS, here's BamBam.

Attached Files:

9. Logan

Logan Elite Member

So .. if they're eating Pangea, do I need to supplement them at all? As in added calcium or anything? I've got both calcium and calcium with d3. And roaches, obviously. Meal worms and wax worms too, although the wax worms are all pretty decent sized so they're probably too big for either of them.

10. arojas7112

arojas7112 Established Member

Hi, Pangea contains Di-Calcium Phosphate and Calcium Carbonte which is also in Reti-Cal. I used to add calcium but I read that Pangea and Repashy have all the ingredients specifically for the well being and health of cresties. Beautiful new guys you have!

11. arojas7112

arojas7112 Established Member

I would recommend sprinkling the calcium on the roaches when given to your cresteds. I've read people do this twice a week with positive results in breeding and overall health. Depends also if you use UVB on your cresties as well. Not a necessity for crested geckos but can be beneficial and if they don't want it they can just hide under leaves as they would in the wild. I actually do not recommend mealworms for cresties since they are a low-temperature reptile, it is much more difficult for them to digest the worms than their warmer temperature cousins like the leopard gecko. Mealworms are made of a lot of chitin (hard outer shell) and don't have a lot of meat to them.

Last edited: Dec 14, 2014
  12. Logan

Logan Elite Member

Yeah. I don't feed the mealworms to anyone all that much. Well, that's kind of a lie. The leos have them available in dishes most of the time. But roaches are my staple.

I knew that Repashy and Pangea claim there food to be complete but I wasn't really sure how complete that really was.

Buuut, no problems dustimg bugs.

13. CrazySnakeLady

I would dust buggies and feed them once a week when they would eat them. I've found that cresteds tend to grow out of eating bugs. They are complete diets, so bugs aren't even needed. But bugs seem to make them grow faster.

And yes, they step really high. It looks so funny! Especially in slow motion while they are "sneaking" away.

14. Logan

Logan Elite Member

Ha. I'm glad she's not walking awkwardly then. But boy does she love to jump!!

15. CrazySnakeLady

Oh yes! Even with just 3 legs, babies jump and jump!

16. Logan

Logan Elite Member

Well, neither of them have any symptoms of MBD, but I don't want them to either. I've got no problem feeding them as many bugs as they want to eat. My Dubias have started breeding, and if I run out of appropriate sized ones I've got 2 people locally who will sell me some. I know the one was getting low on them, but that was a while ago. And probably just the adult sized ones. I was picking some up for breeders and for Toothless. He gave me a TON of them, a 10g tank, a bunch of mealies and some hides for $15.

But, I asked the guy I got the cresties from and he said he couldn't never get them to eat bugs, so they probably haven't been getting any additional supplementation. Now, I know you can give out too much D3, but what about calcium? I also know these guys have calcium sacks, but since the one is super skittish right now and the other is so little and jumpy, there's no way I can check them out.

It was stressful enough on the little one when I rubbed her with a qtip of shed ease to get a rolled up chunk off her tail last night. Everything else shed off fine on its own, but that one piece rolled up and left a little indent in her skin. It popped right back out as soon as it came off so no damage done. And it may have come off on its own, but I didn't want to risk it.

17. SebastiansExotics

Nice update!

18. Logan

Logan Elite Member

Pebbles does love to be held though. BamBam LOVES bugs. He went right to eating them as soon as they went in last night. And unlike the leos he gets them first try. Caught him hanging out on the edge of his water dish too. They've never had one of those before either...

I grabbed a bad of top soil the other night but I'm wondering if that's best for them or if we should stick with paper towels.

At some point they're going to end up with Lmao fully planted enclosure.

19. Logan

Logan Elite Member

GOT TO HOLD BAMBAM!! Also got to hand (well, spoon) feed him 7 roaches! He's a wannabe fatty! Got some more pictures of him and a video of him eating! Haven't seen Pebbles eat a bug yet, but I gave her 3 roaches tonight. I'll go through and count tomorrow night when I swap out the CGD for fresh. I'll get the pictures and video up in a bit. Currently going though my roach breeder bin for some babies. At 50 and will probably double that count by the end, if not more than double!

20. Logan

Logan Elite Member

Okay. Pictures!!!

Attached Files: