This Disappears When Logged In

Finally Started Something!

Discussion in 'General Construction' started by Rakoladycz, Jan 16, 2011.

1. gapeachkatie

gapeachkatie Elite Member

Have you made any progress recently? This project seems really interesting. I love how the hide is going to be under the water basin.

2. kriminaal

kriminaal HH Block Leader Staff Member Premium Member

Price around for the 1/4 glass doors.
    I paid $50 for two 2ft x 3ft 1/4" tempered.
    While some other places wanted like $150.

3. Rakoladycz

Rakoladycz Elite Member

I have silicone on all my seams, but have yet to check it. I am waiting on a response for the materials. After this weekend I will not be able to work on it again until next week. I will be out of town all week for work.
    I will probably test it's water holding capabilities here soon as I got off of work early.

I haven't priced windows yet but I have priced similar ones just smaller and the place local to me seemed quite reasonable so I am hoping they will with this too. Hoping under 100 bucks for about 6' by 30'' tall

4. Rakoladycz

Rakoladycz Elite Member

Priced out my windows yesterday for a 2'6'' X 6'6'' pass through window (that's what they called them) and all my track they told me $165. It is a much better track than what I have seen discussed here at herpcenter. All of it is aluminum and has a snug fit so it should let out little heat, about a 1/16th inch seam. Rather than drilling holes into it and using screws, I think I may just silicone it to my frame. We will see when we get to that point. I plan to pick them up next week. They asked me if i was interested in the lock for it. One of the ones that is at the seam... I think I am going to pass it up and see if I can do something a little different.

I am very excited about this build as my last one was done when I was 16 or 17. Shortly after my skills improved and I was unhappy with many aspects of it. This time I feel like I am doing it

5. kriminaal

That's a good price.
    I used aluminum track with rollers on mine and did use the lock.
    You could also just make sticks to sit in the track beside the doors so they won't slide.
    Kind of like patio doors.
    Now is that price for tempered glass?

6. Rakoladycz

Rakoladycz Elite Member

I believe it is plate glass, I think I am alright with that though. The enclosure he is in know and has been for about 3 years is plate also. Never had any issues.

7. kriminaal

Yea, it'll be fine. The only reason I got it for mine was they didn't charge me much more.

8. Rakoladycz

Rakoladycz Elite Member

They gave me a price for safety glass, just had a laminate on it, and it was like 60 bucks more, they didn't give me a price for tempered.

I am back from out of town and tested my basin and it leaks... I actually expected it to leak, just not as much as it did. Will have to reattempt it.

Purchased some of the trim I plan on using on the outside of Sully's enclosure as I still wait on an answer for those building materials. Something simple that will make it look more like a piece of furniture. I'm thinking I will have to buy new as I still haven't heard back but have attempted getting ahold of the guy about it now 3 times...

Also debating on ideas for my background. I was considering just painting it with drylok and then painting a simple savannah grassland type scenery. Being that the enclosure is going to be 5 feet from the face as long as I had plenty of structure I don't think it would look as "simple". I had looked at the stone walls they have for homes but it averages 45$ a sq ft and will get heavy fast. So that puts me back at doing a styrofoam carved background with grout, which I really like as you can make something look quite natural and light weight.

It seems to me that most have used the tile grout for coating their backgrounds, has anyone attempting using block grout or stucco mix? I can't see why that wouldn't work just as well unless it is an adhesion issue. Reason I ask is I have both at my disposal.

9. gapeachkatie

I was wondering the same thing, since I have both sitting in my garage, but no tile grout. :(

10. mld

mld Subscribed User Premium Member

Most of the people I see use tile grout without sand!
    But when I made by basking spot I used mortar, I worked well for me! But its not very old, time will tell and mine is for a bearded dragon.

11. Rakoladycz

Rakoladycz Elite Member

Well, I am glad to let everyone know that I am no longer working out of town and have met up with Roger (the man with the closing business). I turned out with 6 sheets of 1/2 inch ply for 30 bucks! I excitedly went straight home and started framing up my top back half. I only got to work on it for 30 minutes and not much progress was made. I will plan on pictures tomorrow.

I have convince my fiance to help me with the shaping of the background. I figure she can play with that and I can finish everything else.

I am thinking we may do something with some live plants that can grow out of the walls.

I also had the thought that with the final product once the soil/sand substrate is down of spreading grass seed off in one corner in hopes that I can offer him another little bit of variety. Of course there would be no fertilizers. Any opinions?

12. Rakoladycz

Rakoladycz Elite Member

My top back half is built. I will be adding 1 maybe 2 more studs to the back wall for stability. A bit of a size comparison to my 1500.

This week I will be purchasing the windows so that I can build my front.

Attached Files:

13. kriminaal

I tried experimenting with growing grass in an Ackie enclosure.
    I even imported some special more hardy desert type that could take the heat a little better.
    Unfortunately it got dug up too much.
    The best case scenario would be to grow it in it's own pots and then bury them in the substrate to make it look more natural.

14. Rakoladycz

Rakoladycz Elite Member

Thanks for the prior experience Mike! I will probably not be doing it now. I am considering doing some of the bushy grasses potted in the background. Not sure what they are called but there are several types of them. I'm sure some of the members know what I am talking about. I'm hoping they being in the background they may have a higher chance of survival. I've already come up with a way to drain them so I have no setting water in the bottom of the pot or the background, and a quick change idea should I have to replace them. Will share more when I get there.

You can now see the top back placed on the base. The second picture has framework for the front top half.

I can pick up my windows tomorrow as I didn't get to it this weekend.

I am also sad to say that I am going to be abandoning my "Drylok" water basin. In order for me to do this correctly I have to disassemble about 80% of it and then redo it and each time it just causes more vulnerabilities in other spots. Rather than removing the hiding spot. I will just modify it to instead support a large tupperware and probably just use some simple pvc fittings for a drain. I was really making it harder than it needed to be, but I was going to use the Drylok anyway I wanted to try. I probably would have had a higher chance of success if I would have only made it 4 sides.

Attached Files:

15. mld

Looks great, its really starting to come together! Anticipating the finished product!:)

16. gapeachkatie

Looks really good. Hopefully I can find time to work on mine and get the updated photos this week.

17. kriminaal

Isn't it fun though trying to figure things out.
    Less fun when you figure something out too late and have to disassemble. ;)

18. mld

My husband does this often, measures, builds it in his man cave, brings back inside, too small, gets mad, brings back to man cave and disassembles in an angry fashion! :p

19. kriminaal

I always have issues as I only plan about 90 percent before I start.
    I hate the planning stages.

20. gapeachkatie

I wish that was the case for me... Instead it's ... Plan, plan, plan.... change my mind "****!!!" TOO LATE!
    I hate the female trait of being unable to keep my mind set to one thing for long... lol