This Disappears When Logged In

Finally Started Something!

Discussion in 'General Construction' started by Rakoladycz, Jan 16, 2011.

1. Rakoladycz

Rakoladycz Elite Member

Well I have finally stopped analyzing my available space and all things that are going to make Sully's environment more convenient.

It is a 7x5 and is going to be in 2 possibly 3 pieces total.

My progress so far is the base which is going to hold approximately 10-12 inches of soil. Off to the right hand side is and awkward shaped area and that will be his new water basin. Underneath will be entirely accessible to hide in with two entrances.

So far I haven't spent a penny as all materials have come from work. Used but still in good condition and free beats it all. I will be purchasing new lumber and materials for whatever will be seen as I come too it.

Tell me what you think and I plan on showing my progress as it continues.

Attached Files:

2. schlegelbagel

schlegelbagel Frog Lover Premium Member

I think its great you are able to re-use materials that were probably going to be tossed away. Can't wait to see the future home.

3. kriminaal

kriminaal HH Block Leader Staff Member Premium Member

Dewalt drill, Estwing hammer, looks like you off to a great start ;)
    It pains me to know I have no space for a Bosc.

I hope you can get it into place without too much trouble. Something that size is a pain in the keester to move.

4. Rakoladycz

Rakoladycz Elite Member

Definitely cheaper. Building materials can be ridiculously priced. We have an affiliated construction company that just went out of business and is selling off his materials and most of their tools for cheap. What lumber doesn't sell I can have pick of.

Sullivan was an impulse buy... Luckily I was willing to put it and always try to make him as comfortable as I can. When I first acquired him I had no space for anything larger than a 30 gallon ANYWHERE.

Just manipulating this thing in the garage to work on it is getting difficult just because it has already gotten so heavy. It is probably over kill but I want to know I'm not going to have any problems with bulging or just falling apart. Everything is screwed together, with almost 4lbs in it. The out side dimension of the base height is 16'' The top is going to be 36''-40'' tall and separated into a front and a back half. The front half having the viewing window. And the Fiance says because it is so large it has to have another purpose so I am supposed to put a fold down bar at it so we can get some stools and eat at it (we eat at the sofa and coffee table. Dining room is Bowflex and reptiles).

These most recent pictures are of all the framework of the base getting finished. Around where I have the hide I went a head and placed in some styrofoam to give it extra insulation. Don't know that it really needs it but I figure it can't hurt.

Today I disassembled the water basin/hide so that I got a good coating of Drylok on the edges. I will do this again at least two more times and coat the hide and all well before I silicone and secure it all back together. Hopefully I do it well enough the first time I wont have to do it again. Depending on how much trouble it is this basin may just end up being fiberglassed should the drylok not work to expectations. That is just a lot more cost and task I don't enjoy. Fiberglass just makes me a mess... Tomorrow I will coat it again and roll it on everything else.

Attached Files:

5. kriminaal

kriminaal HH Block Leader Staff Member Premium Member

Smart thinking.
    Glad to see you're providing some good substrate.
    Many people don't realize that monitors in the wild spend just as much (if not more) of their time below ground.

6. mld

mld Subscribed User Premium Member

I love seeing the progress of a build, keep the pictures coming! Good Luck and have fun:)

7. Rakoladycz

Rakoladycz Elite Member

I must confess that Sullivan, other than when I take him outside, has never been on soil/dirt/sand. I have always wanted to. He was in a 30 gallon for a short time, then in his current and has almost exclusively been on cypress, solely because of the weight factor. When in the 30 the table that it rested on I didn't feel could handle the weight of even a bag of top soil on top of what weight was there. His current was not built by me but purchased out of necessity(growing too fast) used and the bottom was never re-enforced. It is just a piece of half inch, maybe 5/8ths(I feel is generous) ply with Formica and currently has about a 1 1/4 inch sag in the middle.

Worked late today 11 hours, so I'm going to eat and then start back on it and hopefully get it all covered before nights up. Hope to get pics up too.

8. HDreptiles

HDreptiles Elite Member

Off to a good start I would say. I am thinking of undertaking a build of some magnitude in the near future, albeit with smaller herps. I am going to be following this very closely (and asking lots of questions) I hope you don't mind. Happy building :)

9. Rakoladycz

Rakoladycz Elite Member

Ask away! I am posting it so everyone can follow and hopefully be able to use what I have shown to improve their own. Discussion always leads to brainstorms and new ideas.

Since I worked on it till late last night I never got any pictures taken. Today I will try to get another coat on take pictures then and share.

10. HDreptiles

HDreptiles Elite Member

What are you going to use for viewing panes?

11. Rakoladycz

Rakoladycz Elite Member

Had to work late a few days in a row, got today off because of rain. Today I finished the second coat of Drylok on all of the interior base and my fourth layer on the water basin. I put three coats on the basin and then reassembled it and applied the fourth. Once it is all dry I am going to silicone the heck out of it! Hope it doesn't leak *crosses fingers* Didn't really see any purpose to show pictures of layers of paint anyway.

I plan to do a sliding glass front. What he is in currently has fold out doors on each end. It is a pain to reach 3 1/2 feet from either side to do anything. And since it was brought up, what thickness of glass do you think would be acceptable? 1/8th inch seems the most readily available but I'm not sure if that is strong enough and I don't really know too much about glass other than sometimes it breaks easy and other times I'm like "Wow! I can't believe that didn't break."

While I am waiting on an answer on the other building materials my attention is going to be on the basin and making sure that it doesn't leak and then installing the drain in it and making sure that doesn't leak either.

Attached Files:

12. Merlin

Merlin Administrator Staff Member Premium Member

I would use 1/4 inch glass. You will likely have to go to a glass specialty shop.
    1/8 isn't really going to be strong enough.

13. Rakoladycz

Rakoladycz Elite Member

That is what I was thinking but wasn't sure.

14. Merlin

Merlin Administrator Staff Member Premium Member

The 1/4 inch plate in my boa cage has taken a full on strike from an overly exhuberant feeding response from my 6 ft boa!

15. HDreptiles

HDreptiles Elite Member

That is a really cool idea with the hide under the water bowel. What are you going to do as far as ventilation?

16. Rakoladycz

Rakoladycz Elite Member

Something similar to what is suggested in Jamesw's thread also in general construction. A 2 or 3 inch vent on each side particularly one that can be closed off.

17. HDreptiles

HDreptiles Elite Member

I was thinking of doing something with a computer fan to help pull air through the cage. Not sure yet though.

18. Rakoladycz

Rakoladycz Elite Member

Chances are you will pull all of your humidity and heat out if you do that. Whatever you do I would wait on a fan and see what your numbers are and if necessary add one, but I don't think you will need it. This was also discussed in Jamesw's thread.

19. HDreptiles

HDreptiles Elite Member

Thank you for the tip. I am doing a rather large under the bed one. It is going to be t large cages and some storage space, and I plan on using them for leopard geckos and bearded dragon, so I am not worried about humidity leaving, but the heat yes.

20. Rakoladycz

Rakoladycz Elite Member

Something I wanted to add about the Drylok, I felt it was easier to apply with a brush rather than a roller. With the brush you are able to get it into the grain of the wood easier and because of the thickness of the paint I felt it was a hassle to get it evenly coated on the roller

And to your fan question it was not in Jamesw's post but in tmw1093's in Electricity/wiring sorry about that.