This Disappears When Logged In

Finally Snakes

Discussion in 'Field Herping' started by HerpFanatic, Apr 29, 2012.

1. HerpFanatic

HerpFanatic Elite Member

First up is my two boys in a huge tree:
    [​IMG]

This next group of photos was just awesome to watch in person. I assume this snake was going after this mouse.

So here is the snake it is a Eastern Ratsnake - (Pantherophis alleghaniensis):
    [​IMG]

Here is the mouse:
    [​IMG]
    The mouse was running back and forth on this rock face saving her babies. I must of watched her go and grab about 12 babies.

If you look in her mouth here she has a baby:
    [​IMG]

And another one with her baby:
    [​IMG]

The snake was slowly getting closer but she had already moved all her babies she knew the snake was there.

You can see the nest in the upper left hand corner:
    [​IMG]

They the snake tried to get away, But not so fast I wanted to check it out:
    [​IMG]

Here is a Northern Watersnake - (Nerodia s. sipedon)
    [​IMG]
    I don't like to pick these guys up as they can musk you and it smells pretty bad.

And another northern watersnake:
    [​IMG]
    There were like 12 of these guys basking in a single pile of sticks.

This is a baby Eastern Ratsnake - (Pantherophis alleghaniensis)
    [​IMG]

Here is a Northern Brownsnake - (Storeria d. dekayi)
    [​IMG]

Last but not least a Broad-headed Skink - (Plestiodon laticeps)
    [​IMG]

We also found a Common Ribbonsnake - (Thamnophis s. sauritus) But it was to fast to get a good picture.

Sorry some of the pictures are not so clear, My fiancée is scared of snakes so she doesn't get to close when I am handling them. Thats my only photographer when I can't take them myself. ;) I hope you enjoy these none the less.

2. mld

mld Subscribed User Premium Member

Very nice photos, looks like the whole family had fun! :)

3. JoeyG

JoeyG Subscribed User Premium Member

Looks like you had a great weekend! Where were you at, looks like a great place to hike? Really cool getting to watch nature play out with the mouse :)

4. Knox

Knox Elite Member

I think a couple of your labels are off. That is not a baby Rat Snake - looks more like a Water Snake. And Storeria Dekayi don't get much larger than 12 to 15 inches - tiny snakes like the Ringnecks and Redbellies.

Great pics, though! Thanks for posting them.

5. BarelyBreathing

BarelyBreathing Elite Member

Productive day!

6. HerpFanatic

HerpFanatic Elite Member

Knox it is a baby rat snake, they look like water snakes when they are small. I will post a link to our local DNR website that shows them as babys. As for the other snake you refer to it was only 13 inches long just looked bigger because of the zoom on the camera. Same with the baby rat snake that was only 6 inches in length. Zoom on camers makes it look bigger.

7. Knox

Knox Elite Member

Interesting...

Every baby Rat I have ever seen has looked like a Corn Snake. I have never seen a banded baby Rat. And all the DeKay's I have seen fit in the palm of my hand.

But, I don't claim to know everything.

8. DwarvenChef

DwarvenChef Elite Member

Great day out in the wilds :)

9. Reptileherps

Reptileherps Well-Known Member

Looks like a good trip! I'm hoping to go out again soon. Hopefully I'll find something other than Water Snakes this time though.

10. HerpFanatic

HerpFanatic Elite Member

Sorry I was on my phone earlier so I could not copy and paste the links. But here you go. I hope this helps.

Northern Brownsnake - Field Guide to Maryland's Snakes (Order Squamata)- Discover Maryland's Herps - Wildlife and Heritage Service - Maryland Department of Natural Resources

Eastern Ratsnake: Field Guide to Maryland's Snakes (Order Squamata)- Discover Maryland's Herps - Wildlife and Heritage Service - Maryland Department of Natural Resources

This is our local Water Snake: Northern Watersnake: Field Guide to Maryland's Snakes (Order Squamata)- Discover Maryland's Herps - Wildlife and Heritage Service - Maryland Department of Natural Resources

11. T42D1T4L14N

T42D1T4L14N Elite Member

Awesome pics! Thanks for sharing!

12. Knox

Knox Elite Member

It might just be the pics, but that still doesn't look like a baby Rat Snake to me. It looks like a baby water snake with those bands. Rat Snakes tend to have saddles and their heads look different.

And the DeKay just looks much too large. You might be right about the camera angle, but DeKays are tiny little things. Never seen one that could be hooked like that - it doesn't seem to be able to coil up with room to spare in the palm of your hand.

Again, I am not trying to start any arguments. The pics are just very deceiving to me.

13. HerpFanatic

HerpFanatic Elite Member

You may very well be correct, but as far as I know I labeled them as I know. Only reason I used the hook on the dekayi was to make for a better picture. I am pretty sure it it the camera angle. As for the Ratsnake I am 80% sure that it is not a Northern Water Snake. That is the only water snake we have here.

14. HerpFanatic

HerpFanatic Elite Member

This is at Gunpowder State park on the Belair rd entrance. There miles of trails to walk and you can take a jump in the river to cool off. ;)

15. Wyldrose

Wyldrose Elite Member

Looks like great fun! I bet you saved those mice being there :) He'll find them another day! lol!

16. Merlin

Merlin Administrator Staff Member Premium Member

I am going to side with Knox. That is not a ratsnake. The picture you posted shows a snake which is banded. Ratsnakes are not banded but blotched.
    If you look closely at the picture in the link you posted, it shows the snake is blotched on top of the body. They do not encircle the body to be bands.

17. HerpFanatic

HerpFanatic Elite Member

what do you think it is! You can go to the links I posted to see the local species. I still do not think it is a water snake. I seen baby water snakes. I could be wrong but as far as I know it is not a northern water snake.

18. Knox

Knox Elite Member

Here is a juvenile Water Snake - not sure if it is a Banded or Northern:

http://www.pingleton.com/field/2005/071605/sipedon1.JPG

Here is your picture:

http://www.herpcenter.com/members/17494-albums1376-picture15780.jpg

They look like the same snake to me.

Here is a juvenile Yellow Rat Snake:

http://www.ces.ncsu.edu/gaston/Pests/reptiles/images/babyyellowrat.jpg

And a juvenile Black Rat Snake:

http://www.fcps.edu/islandcreekes/ecology/Reptiles/Black Rat Snake/juvblkratsnake1m1.jpg

They don't look like the one in your picture.

19. Knox

Knox Elite Member

20. Merlin

Merlin Administrator Staff Member Premium Member

Sorry I meant to post this but got forgot to hit send.
    Duh!
    If I were to hazard a guess I would have to go with the Nerodia. They have bands on the first part of their bodies and blotches on the back.