This Disappears When Logged In

Finally Made First Attempt

Discussion in 'Enclosures' started by MMWC, May 17, 2010.

1. MMWC

MMWC Elite Member

Hi all, I would like to share my very first attempt ever at this. I used the basic idea, so I can get the idea on how it is done. I am impressed with how easy it actually is. Going to do this to the rest of my stack.

The Polystyrene cut out
    Bridgerough3.jpg

Bridgerough1.jpg
    You can see my pyramid in the bcakground I started too for my Sandfish. Want to try an egyptian theme for her.

Started the first coat of grout.
    Bridgejusgotstairs.jpg

The final layer drying out.
    groutingbtodgeback.jpg

The little hides I made, my creative side is not so good. LOL
    Hidejusgrouted.jpg

And finally complete.
    complete1.jpg
    complete4.jpg
    complete2.jpg

Let me know what you think.

Attached Files:

2. kronik070

kronik070 Elite Member

very good job!!

3. kronik070

kronik070 Elite Member

what kind of grout did you use? and do you have to use some special sealer for it? im thinking i may attempt a few trial peices to get the hang of it

4. komodoking

komodoking Active Member

that's looking good man, I will have to start soon,

5. MMWC

MMWC Elite Member

Thanks for the complement, I used regular tile grout called Tylon grout. They are a bit limited with colours but aparantly you can add a certain paint for colour. I am not sure about that though. I made sure that the grout did not have any sort of adhesive in, I was informed that some adhesive can leave toxic fumes.

I used a Polycrylic Satin Sealer and left it to dry out for at least 24hrs so it could air out. The sealer is basicly just to assist in preventing the grout to peel off, and also it helps a little for when you need to lightly wipe clean.

Before you know it you will have the hang of it. I enjoyed doing it too.

6. mld

mld Subscribed User Premium Member

very impressive, are you sure you didn't do this before??
    So where is the best place to buy the Polystyrene, and did you use a special knife to cut it with? Did you silicone the pieced in place 1st?
    The little family looks very happy in there new set up. I can't wait to see the Egyptian theme for the sandfish!!
    Thanks for showing your great work.:)

7. MMWC

MMWC Elite Member

Thank you. yes I am sure this was my first attempt. :) I got the polystyrene at a hardware store. they sell it in sheets. Yes I did glue it first together, but I did not use silicone. I used a product called no more nails, it like a tacky wood glue and dries quick. I am trying something out with the egyptian theme, so it might be a while before I post it up. ;)