This Disappears When Logged In

Finally! Indo Garter Pics!

Discussion in 'Garter & Water snakes' started by Moldypotato, Feb 8, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Moldypotato

Moldypotato Elite Member

2. furryscaly

furryscaly Elite Member

Cool :D What species is that?

3. Moldypotato

Moldypotato Elite Member

An indonesian garter snake is all that I know of. There really isn't much info for indonesian garter snakes at all. kenman said he would I.d. it for me just incase it's not what it was labeled as. He has me coming to the conclusion that this is not a garter too.

4. furryscaly

furryscaly Elite Member

Hmm, well it sorta looks like a garter, but garters are North American. To the best of my knowledge, there aren't any in Indonesia. It could be some sort of Indonesian water snake though, or maybe its not Indonesian at all. I don't suppose you could get a clearer picture of him could you? Particularily the head.

5. Moldypotato

Moldypotato Elite Member

6. furryscaly

furryscaly Elite Member

Well, I've found out a little on the so called indonesian garters. Indonesian garter snake: Natrix maura. However, its not really a garter snake. For one, as I stated earlier, there are no garters in Indonesia. Secondly, its the wrong genus. However, I found its true name, the viperine snake. These I HAVE heard of. Related to garters and water snakes, but not a garter. Ok, so, that's what your's is SUPPOSED to be, a viperine snake. However, after viewing pics of viperine snakes, I'd say yours is close, but I don't think its an exact match. There is another problem though. Viperine snakes are native to Europe, not Indonesia. I've found little info on "Indonesian garters", and the only info I have found had them under the same scientific name as viperine snakes. The pics of the indo garter look like a viperine too. This pretty much puts us back on the drawing board. I'll keep you updated on what I find though.

Viperine snakes (Natrix maura, aka Indonesian garter snake?
    If it says you're not authorized to view the page, just hit the refresh key.

http://xoomer.virgilio.it/ripolini/Natrix_maura.JPG

http://anikingdom.com/rep_photos/rs_23.jpg

http://www.herpetofauna.at/gallery/apennin/bilder/12b-Natrix-maura.jpg

7. steel rip

steel rip Elite Member

Hiya Moldy, looks garter to me, just not showing adult colors yet, don't think its indonesian, could be a common Garter the stripes will become more seperated as he grows, how old is your garter? hes a cutie, love the colors :D

Could even be a ribbon snake :)

8. VAsnakeman

VAsnakeman Member

Actually it looks to me like a queen snake. What is it eating?

9. KrokadilyanGuy3

KrokadilyanGuy3 Elite Member

Looks to be Natrix vittata to me. (Xenochrophis vittatus). The other common name for this beast is the striped keelback.

I'm not sure if youre wanting info on this but just to be safe:
    Just house it like a garter; fish and other amphibians are their main food items and they are typically harmless.

Good luck,
    Zane

10. DarkMagician207

DarkMagician207 Elite Member

neat colors. i like the underside. :)

11. Murder Serpent

Murder Serpent Elite Member

:(

I went to take picture to show I have the same snake and found it dead.

I thought it was just hiding under its substrate and when I pulled it out its mouth was full of substrate. :confused:

Anyways here are the dead-pictures

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

It was a case of impaction.

I bought it from petco under the name "western garter snake"

R.I.P. Hobbit

12. venus

venus Founding Member

This thread is almost 3 yrs old. You can start your own threads, lol.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.