This Disappears When Logged In

Finally! A Moult!

Discussion in 'Arachnids General' started by Og_, Feb 19, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Lucysfriend

Lucysfriend Elite Member

oh my gosh I am so sorry...what do you think happened??

2. Merlin

Merlin Administrator Staff Member Premium Member

That's too bad Og. Any idea why?
    Not being "T" person myself I would have assumed it wasn't much different than a snake shedding.

3. smallgrayfox

smallgrayfox Contributing Member

Oh, I'm so sorry! :(

4. kronik070

kronik070 Elite Member

very sorry to hear that

5. fire2225ems

fire2225ems Subscribed User Premium Member

I'm so sorry!!!

6. nicole

nicole Elite Member

aww,, thats awful! I am sorry to hear that!

7. Og_

Og_ Elite Member

My T book says they will sometimes die during moulting problems for unknown reasons. but I believe the humidity was probably too low and he was dehydrated. When they moult, it's more than the shedding of skin like a reptile does. It's more like a butterfly exiting a cocoon. Everything is brand new. they have new eyes, new fangs, even a lost leg will magically reappear after the next moult. They get new sex organs, new spinneretts, etc.
    All this new surface material must then have fluids pumped into them so they can expand and harden. I beleive this to be an involuntary function for the spider. So if a spider is dehydrated, this will drain away fluids from the internal organs and lead to multiple organ failure.
    This is my theory anyway. I kept the inside of the tank really moist as this was an amazon basin animal. I beleive my mistake was having a screen top letting all the humidity out. I should have covered it with a piece of glass.
    I have to do this for my blood python. I don't know why I didn't think about this sooner.

8. nicole

nicole Elite Member

I am sorry to hear this Og! We all have learned from mistakes, believe me.....It is what we do after we have learned that counts. I can tell you my learning from mistakes has lead to the lives being saved of many iguanas.
    Keep your chin up!

9. DarkMagician207

DarkMagician207 Elite Member

so sorry to hear about that.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.