This Disappears When Logged In

Filter For 10 Gal Tank + Water Question

Discussion in 'Amphibian - General' started by Kristof, Jan 24, 2016.

1. Kristof

Kristof Well Established Member

Hey guys! So I had a few spare 10 gallon tanks, and have been looking into Fire Belly Toads. Here's the setup:

IMG_0987.JPG

I was wondering what filter should I use?

Also the water seems to have something that looks like oil-y on the top of it. Would running a filter fix this?

Thank you all :)

2. Buggy0123

Buggy0123 Established Member

I have a 20 gallon setup similar to this, I don't use a filter. I just do water changes every now and then. You could use one of those rock filters made for turtles (a small one). As for the oily substance, I think if you just let the water set it should go away. For the tank though you should add another rock or two for them to sit on because mine tend to shy away from water and an extra place to sit could help.

3. Kristof

Alright thank you!

4. Rich

Rich Administrator Staff Member Premium Member

I disagree with some of what was stated. I also own FBT's. (My kids do actually.)
    This is our FBT enclosure:
    Fire-bellied Toad Habitat Construction | Reptile Forums - Information

We have a simple 15 gallon charcoal filter. If your water has an oily substance on the surface, then something in the tank put it there. Oil doesn't just appear and disappear in fish tanks. (I have had fish tanks for nearly as long as I have owned reptiles.) Foggy water and oily water are very different things. Foggy water is typically the result of tiny oxygen bubbles that appear as water is poured in. Those will go away on their own. Oily surface water though requires the tank to be emptied, everything washed and then refilled. Oil has to come from something. While some people don't use a filter, I would suggest using one just to ensure your water doesn't smell.

5. Merlin

Merlin Administrator Staff Member Premium Member

What are the objects in the tank? I see rock but something else I can't identify.

6. Qwerty3159

Qwerty3159 Elite Member

Looks like a brick and a fake plant.
    Where'd you get the sand? The residue on the surface could be from that or the brick.

7. Kristof

A brick, rock and some live pothos.

8. Kristof

Thanks @Rich ! I think it must be the sand. I have a large bin of sand in my garage, don't know what from. I baked it to kill the bugs but guessing that wasn't good enough. Im going to buy some play sand later this week.

I wa looking at some carbon filters, is there one you recommend?

I love your enclosure by the way :)

9. Buggy0123

Buggy0123 Established Member

Yeah, kudos to you that's a neat tank.

10. Kristof