This Disappears When Logged In

Filling in the Cracks

Discussion in 'Substrates/Bedding/Flooring' started by pandorasbox, May 13, 2012.

1. pandorasbox

pandorasbox Elite Member

There is about 3/16th" of space or so around the perimeter of my leopard gecko's terrarium's tiles and also where the tiles overlap - it is 20 gallons long ~30"x12" and has a ~12"x12" tile at each end and then one in the middle overlapping them. There's just enough room for a small cricket, mealworm, or piece of feces to slide in between the tile and glass and also in a few places between the tiles. Do you think it would be safe to caulk it (with her in temporary housing for 24 hours for it to set of course)? I want something non-permanent- so not grout or concrete. I'm afraid that using particle substrate to fill the cracks would just invite feeders to burrow. Anyone have any suggestions?

2. mld

mld Subscribed User Premium Member

What I do is just use the two pieces of tile one on the hot side and one in the middle. I use 1/2 a sheet of papertowel on the cool side and place the water dish, calcium dish, and the food dish on it. I also use 1/2 of piece of paper towel on the hot side against the glass this is where she tends to go to poop, this makes it easier to change out daily.
    You could use 100% silicone around the tiles if you want, it may take a few days to fume out the enclosure. Just make sure that the silicone is not the one used for kitchens and bath, they tend to contains a product to control mold and is toxic to reptiles.