This Disappears When Logged In

Field Herping Tips Please?

Discussion in 'Field Herping' started by EriksExotics, Mar 17, 2014.

1. EriksExotics

EriksExotics Elite Member

Thanks for the info, DwarvenChief! I don't really see myself getting into field work in the future but I definitely see myself in the field :) You never know, though, right? Also never saw myself keeping a bunch of snakes and now I do! lol

2. Merlin

Merlin Administrator Staff Member Premium Member

One thing I would like to point out that goes with anyone field herping.
    Leave the area the same way you found it!
    When you turn something over, do it carefully and then replace it in the same position. It really ticks me off to go into an area and see where people flip stones and tear up logs and then go on their merry way causing more destruction as they go.
    Look at it that you are dealing with animal's homes!

3. DwarvenChef

DwarvenChef Elite Member

Another bit popped up in my midterm tortured brain...

Know the laws regarding the species your after, licenses needed (if any), collection seasons, bag limits, and so on. Some species like Sceloporus are open season (except a few) and have a 25ct bag limit a day. Requiring a current fishing license to capture (unless they changed it to hunting license, need to look that up again), that's here in CA. A few species I like to keep an eye out for are purely hands off it's unclear if just seeing one in the wild is breaking a law :p as in you are already to close to it...

Knowing the regs around these critters puts game officers at ease a bit. It shows you cared enough to look the laws up. Gotten out of a few sticky spots with knowing a few regs. I even got a few pointers as to where I could get some good pictures of elusive species by keeping in good relations with the rangers out there :)