This Disappears When Logged In

Field Herping in the Desert?

Discussion in 'Field Herping' started by Hybrid, Jul 19, 2011.

1. Hybrid

Hybrid Well-Known Member

I might go field herping in a couple months in the desert in a place called devils spine. My friend told me that when he went dirt biking he saw a lot of bull snakes and few rattlers(I kinda want to avoid those lol) and there will also be of lizards, mostly fence lizards and skinks. I need tips, where I should look, when, what I should bring, etc.

2. Hybrid

Hybrid Well-Known Member

anyone?

3. Merlin

Merlin Administrator Staff Member Premium Member

I am not familiar with that area but I can give you a few generalities.
    SUNSCREEN!
    Water!
    Camera
    Snake hook. This will be used for flipping rocks etc.
    It is much preferable to putting your fingers under a surface when you don't know what is there.
    Notebook for recording what you find.

Your best time for desert herping will be in the early morning or late evening. Or even at night. The hottest part of the day generally drives desert herps into burrows etc.
    Look for rocky areas with space under the rocks, rock ledges with cracks and crevices, and any sort of debris such as plywood, sheets of tin, etc.
    Think "cover"
    Don't just rip things apart. Be careful. And when you flip something over, put it back exactly in the same position it was. Don't let your curiosity destroy habitat.

4. Pumapard

Pumapard Elite Member

Field herping isn't possible where i live.We only have one native reptile species.